Chapter 5

"You can't master your future if you're still a slave to your past" ~Unknown

○●●○●●○●●○●●○●●○●●○●●○●●○●●○
Marissa Gutierrez
7 Years ago

Holland, Michigan

The wind swirls around my body making me feel lightweight. My hair dances to the tune of the ocean as the seagulls chorus together. The smell of the sea wafts to my nose and makes me feels at peace. The sand massages my bare feet as I near closer to the majestic waves.

The ocean always makes me feel calm and collected as if I could tell it all my secrets and sorrows. I climb onto a small damp rock with my legs dangling touching the water. My headphones in my ears making the moment feel like I am in the movies where the moment feels magical and enjoyable.

I left my family on the farther end of the beach because I need some time away from them.

Every summer we travel further up north to either Michigan or New Jersey for the blueberry season. All my family has ever known is how to work in agriculture whether its picking, packing in the factory, or managing the other workers as a crew leader. Ever since I was a small kid I have been taught how to work in the fields.

It all I've ever known.

I don't exactly like working in the fields but the pay is great especially during a good season. One can earn up to a thousand dollars a week on a good season.

I just wish that I could work in an air conditioned area that doesn't require a lot of speed and muscle. Although, it has its perks like traveling to places like Michigan and going to an unsalted beach.

I break out of my trance when a shriek of laughter erupts from the other side of the beach. I glance to see my siblings running from the waves as it nears. Most of the times I am thankful that I have a family that gives me food and shelter. Although, a small percent wishes I had a family that actually cares and doesn't make me feel like crap.

I glance back out at the fire rays emitting from the sun at it slowly descends below the surface of the earth. I pull the headphone off and place them closer towards the shore away from the tides. I stand up from the rock and inhale deeply.

I swiftly jump into the clear water and disappear into a different world. A different dimension. Where sorrows and weaknesses are lost and a beginning stays at arms reach.

♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡

Teresa Guatez

Silence.

Its a deafening sound that makes one go crazy. All you can hear is that high-pitch squeal that makes you go a bit annoyed at the sound. It makes it even worse when every corner is an endless pit of darkness. Its as if any minute you will fall farther below while crawling around trying to escape hell.

As the minute dreads on you feel as if you're running out of oxygen. As if someone has out of no where put a plastic bag over your head- cutting of your air supply.

Grasping my neck I try to breathe slower and calmer with out success. I'm not claustrophobic but I am paranoid.

I quickly reach under the hem of my dress to find my holster had been removed. The pin that was holding my hair back had been misplaced. I had placed a tiny blade in case of an emergency but that's gone. Even the miniature knife that had been placed in a pocket in my bra has been removed. Along with it leaving my braless.