➾ Chapter One

Your fingers tapped each key of the piano with skill only known by a prodigy such as yourself. You felt the rhythm of each note float through your eardrums and the symphony you played was one of beauty and darkness that balanced each other out on a scale. The sound traveled through the mansion and echoed down the hallways, alerting any working staff not to disturb your session.

You were clad in the most inelegant clothes--sweatpants and a hoodie--but it was what you preferred any moment of the day. During your concerts, you wore immaculate dresses that displayed diamonds and rubies, and whenever you could get away from that, you did.

You finished your practice early and shuffled your own composed pieces of music in the folders they belonged to, then placed them on the bookshelves. You rubbed your fingertips instinctively from your earlier years where they were stiff and sore after practice, but of course that wasn't a problem anymore, it was merely a reflexive tick that you couldn't get rid of.

You left the music room, closing the door behind you and making your way toward your boyfriend of three years' office on the floor above. You opted to have your work spaces on separate levels of the house as not to disturb each other, although you knew Mycroft left his door open to listen to your playing and kept his yelling at people over the phone to a minimum.

You skipped up the winding steps and walked down the hallway, passing the bedroom and finally making it to the office where the door was indeed cracked open. You walked in and halted only after a few steps forward.

"Where are you going?" you asked, confused.

Mycroft continued to button up his navy coat and stood next to a small suitcase. He shifted his gaze toward you while taking out the phone from his pocket.

"Serbia. It's time to bring my insufferable brother home," he answered monotonously.

"Why are you going then? Shouldn't you just send an agent?" you questioned, even more perplexed.

"No--" he shook his head "--they are all too, shall I say, unfit for this job. I have to sneak into a Serbian camp and retrieve Sherlock, which is much more difficult than it sounds."

You rushed forward. "No way, Mycroft. That's too dangerous," you scolded.

"That's true, (Y/N), but he has to do it. He'll be back by tomorrow, I assure you," Anthea said from the doorway, peering down at her own device as usual.

You huffed. "That doesn't make me worry any less; I hate when you insist on putting yourself in danger, especially for the sake of Sherlock."

Mycroft pocketed his phone and leaned down to kiss your forehead briefly.

"He is my brother, dear, and he has no way to get out himself. Meet me in my work office tomorrow in the evening. I promise I'll be there," he said.

You sighed in defeat. "Okay," you replied reluctantly. "Obviously I can't talk you out of this, but I won't be sleeping well tonight."

"Do you have that little faith in me?"

You arched a brow. "You're not the secret agent you used to be, My."

"Is that your way of saying I'm an old man? Because it seems creepy of us to be together, considering you are wonderfully youthful," he responded.

It was true. You were many years younger than your boyfriend--even younger than his brother--begging the typical question to many of why you were with him in the first place. You were very young and extremely beautiful, but with enough money to last your lifetime. It showed everyone that your love for Mycroft Holmes was the real thing instead of the stereotypical assumption that you were with him for his money or title.

"Don't change the subject," you chided, instinctively reaching up to fix his crooked tie because you knew how OCD he was. "Just don't do anything stupid."

"You're the only one who could say that to Mycroft Holmes," Anthea mumbled.

"Because he's an idiot sometimes," you replied, turning back to Mycroft. "I love you."

He hummed back and kissed you instead of saying the three words he would never say with another in the room, even Anthea. You were okay with it and showed your affection for him anyway because you knew that his action spoke louder than the words he frequently choked on.

You walked him all the way to the door with Athena respectfully walking farther ahead as to give you some privacy. You reminded Mycroft multiple times on the way to be careful and call if anything bad happened or if he needed help.

You watched he and Athena get into the back of a black SUV and depart down the long driveway. You followed with your eyes until they drove out of sight down the street, then you went back inside just as your personal security detail showed up to guard the perimeter of the house.

You got ready for bed and crawled onto the giant mattress that felt far too large when Mycroft failed to be there with you, but you knew what you were signing up for once you agreed to date The British Government.

In the beginning, Mycroft was the one who perused you instead of the other way around. It came as a surprise to everyone, especially Sherlock and their parents. You met Mycroft at one of your performances and he got his way backstage because he simply had to meet you, as he said, and you were thoroughly glad he took that step.

It took almost a year of benign friendship before he asked you on a date, and since then, you've been attached to each other. Naturally, everyone thought it odd that you, a gorgeous and talented woman, would settled for an infuriating man like Mycroft, but you only adored his brain and attitude.

You fell asleep as you recounted memories of yourself and Mycroft as you often did when you were informed he might be in a dangerous position, well, more dangerous than what he was constantly in. It helped to ease your mind and calm your heart because he was the solid foundation of your life and you never knew what you would do without him.