➾ Chapter Three

"None of these markers of yours are behaving in any way suspiciously?" Mycroft inquired. "Your move."

"No, Mycroft, but you have to trust me, I'll find the answer," Sherlock responded. "Your move."

"All very interesting, but the terror alert has been raised to critical."

"Boring." Sherlock sighed. "Your move."

"I've given the prime minister my personal assurance that you're on the case," Mycroft said.

"I am on the case, we're both on the case, look at us right now."

A buzzing sound chimed through the flat, finally disturbing your reading as you glanced up from the page at the two men playing Operation. You swung your feet from the coffee table and stood with your closed book tucked under your arm.

"Oh, bugger," Mycroft grit out.

"Whoopsie. Can't handle a broken heart, how very telling," Sherlock teased.

"Don't be smart."

Sherlock slouched slightly in his chair. "Oh, that takes me back. Don't be smart, Sherlock, I'm the smart one."

"I am the smart one," Mycroft retorted.

"I used to think I was an idiot."

"We both thought you were an idiot; we had nothing else to go on until we met other children."

"Yes, that was a mistake," Sherlock remarked, disgusted.

"Ghastly," his brother agreed. "What were they thinking?"

You smirked, shaking your head at their behavior. During all your years around the entire Holmes family, you never got tired of how the boys acted with each other even though it was evident how much they cared.

"Probably something on the lines of trying to make friends," Sherlock responded.

"Oh, yes, friends. Of course you go for that sort of thing now," Mycroft said.

"And you don't?"

That piqued your interest immensely.

"If you seem slow to me, Sherlock, imagine what real people are like. I'm living in a world of goldfish," Mycroft explained, then rose to his feet.

"Am I a goldfish?" you challenged, awaiting how he would possibly get out of that one. Sherlock seemed interested too.

Mycroft frowned. "Of course not, darling. You're intelligence is beyond that of a normal person's. Also, your talent is of monumental envy."

"Good job getting yourself out of the doghouse, brother mine," Sherlock said smugly.

Mycroft cleared his throat because he knew it was true. "Well, back to work."

You took Mycroft's hand that he offered and trudged your way out of the flat after waving to Sherlock. You both walked down the staircase and Mycroft's phone buzzed just as Mrs. Hudson turned to walk up the stairs with a tea tray.

"Oh, hello, (Y/N)," Mrs. Hudson greeted. "I didn't know you were here."

"Well, someone has to supervise Mycroft and Sherlock when they're together," you joked.

"Would you stay for tea? I do love our chats," she said.

"Sorry, Mrs. Hudson, but we must be going. My parents are arriving tomorrow and we need to make preparation," Mycroft interjected.

Mycroft tugged you away from the older woman and you gave her an apologetic smile as you were hauled out of the building. You processed exactly what Mycroft had said and were instantly elated at the news.