Strange Beginnings

10 Years Old...

Alesia looks out the window as they drive up to the overly sized house. Everything about it screams perfection, from it's trimmed bushes to the freshly painted shutters on the third floor. The man sitting on the scaffold hears the car coming up, and manages twist around in his seat to wave at them. Alesia's mother steps out of the car and waves back; her eyes taking in the three-story building.

"My god, I hope they don't expect me to clean this whole thing by myself."

"Of course not, you'll only be going over the public areas."

The male voice comes from the open-door way. Both mother and daughter turn toward the voice, surprised that anyone would greet them. The elderly man's tall figure towers over both from the distance, and ten-year-old Alesia shrinks back into the car. Hoping it's metal frame will protect her from the intimidating figure. Her mother notices her cowering form and immediately walks around the car to stand between the man and child.

"The names..."

"Vivian Sykes," he says, reaching his hand out to take hers. He turns toward the child at that point, and Vivian looks over she shoulder to see her daughter still frightened.

"This is my daughter, Alesia. I know you said no children but I couldn't find a sitter, and I promise she won't be any trouble."

The man stares at the young girl for a moment longer before flipping his eyes to her mother. A hint of annoyance is there, but he still manages to come out with a nice tone when he finally replies, "As long as she stays with you, and doesn't cause a raucous."

"Thank you," Vivian mouths, and waves for her daughter to follow when she sees the man walking toward the house. As they enter, Alesia can't stop her head from bending backward and spinning on the spot as she takes in the two-story entrance, with its crystal chandler in the very middle. The tiny bulbs reflect off of the sun that shines through the window circling it from the top; lighting the entire foyer with the natural light from outside. Alesia stands there, wondering what it would be like to see the moon and stars through the glass at night. Her day dreams are interrupted when her mother tugs on her sleeve, and her head snaps forward to see the two adults turning down a hallway.

Racing to keep up, she realizes the man is now giving her mother instructions on what rooms to clean and how much needs to be done in each. When he finishes, he walks away, heading up one of the many staircases. Alesia does a small circle and comes face to face with a huge wooden door. Its frame carefully carved from top to bottom with a large tree, the leaves spread out at the top and make the archway that stands above it.

"What about this room?"

Her question is innocent enough, but the man still snarls as he races back down the stairs, his steps faster than a normal human being. Alesia backs into the wall, frightened by the sudden movement. Vivian is next to her in seconds, inching herself between the two.

"That room is off limits." He glares at the small girl, and Vivian raises her hands in a peace offering.

"Please sir, she meant no harm; just a child's curiosity."

"Keep her in your sight," he snaps. He turns from them, making his way back up the stairs. Alesia lets the breath out that held and stares at her mother. Vivian looks down at her daughter with a smile on her lips, and Alesia relaxes knowing she isn't in any real trouble.

"Come on darling, we are still going to be here all day, even if we are just doing the first floor."

Alesia laughs at her mother and follows back outside to collect the cleaning supplies. Her mother's job seems easy enough, clean stranger's houses and get paid for it. At least, Alesia thinks so. Only because she joins her during the holidays to help out. Her mother never sticks her with any complicated task, and she enjoys seeing the various types of houses and the people that lives inside of them.