Everything and Nothing

A smile is plastered on Alesia's face while stepping into the foyer. Nothing changes. The window above still shines enough light to fill this place with ease. Harold is still frowning as he escorts her to the office where Mr. Hale is sitting behind his desk, hands in his hair as he listens to some audio book.

"Ms. Sykes, sir," Harold says, stopping in the middle of the room.

Alesia stands behind him, wringing her hands together, quietly waiting for the man to acknowledge her.

"Thank you, Harold." Mr. Hale said looks at them, giving a stiff smile to his right hand man as he straightens up his desk.

Alesia isn't surprised to see he hasn't changed. Sure, there are a few more wrinkles around his brows, and his hands are nothing but tight fists. He still looks young; late twenties now if she had to guess.

Harold bows before exiting, giving her the stink eye as he closes the door. She ignores it, used to his coldness, and instead turns to Mr. Hale. Hoping for nothing but the best.

"Alesia, it's good to see you, technically speaking," he says, coming around the front of his desk, crossing his arms and his legs. Just as he was when she left. She shakes her head, finding it interesting that everything and nothing has changed in this house.

"Mr. Hale, I-"

"Jaime, please." He insists, his frown deepening.

"I received your gift." She holds up the book as if he can see it. Something inside her hopes he does. The whole meaning would be lost otherwise.

Mr. Hale tenses, raising his chin. "I simple thank-you card would have sufficed."

Alesia knows he is preparing for another rejection. Waiting for her to tear his heart out a second time. Like five years ago when she told him she couldn't accept what he is.

The truth is she was scared then. She's scared now. Who wouldn't be when you face a creature such as that? When all logic tells you it isn't possible, but you can't forget the look in his eyes, or the feel of his fingers across your skin.

Gripping the book tighter, she holds it out like some sort of talisman. Something that will guide her and tell her what needs to be done in this situation.

"Soul-mates, really?" She takes a step closer.

Mr. Hale takes in a deep breath, and slowly let's it go. She wonders if he can smell her fear, if it does anything that will affect this outcome.

"It's a book Ms Sykes."

"It's a diary, about a girl finding her soul mate."

He uncrosses his arms, grip the desk behind him so tight that one could nearly hear it splinter beneath his fingers. "So?"

Alesia holds the books to her chest, running her fingers down it's spine to draw what strength she can from the girl that wrote it so long ago. "Is it real?"

"What do you think?"

Words fail her for a moment; her stomach knotting up so bad that it is starting to make her physically sick. "I think that it's insane for a man who hates kids, to allow a ten-year-old into his home," she says, choking on the lump that is permanently stuck in her throat. "Then go on to give said woman and her child a home for a cheap price, and employment for ten years; all because the child begs you to let her mother stay for one week."

His brows creasing together. "I think that would be compassion, not insanity."

"How about the fact that the man continues to give this woman and her child insane gifts, helps her with a car when she needs one. Pays for the child's education, and even gives the child free lessons himself?"

"Again, compassion."

"How about the insane fact that said girl can never forget this man, even when she hasn't seen him in years, she can recall his face in vivid details. The way he smiles, his face when he is surprised or irritated, even when he is angry. All of it, perfectly clear in her mind."

"I would say the girl has a slight obsession." A smirk appears on his face and the knot in her stomach lessens a little

"Perhaps, maybe, it is enough of an obsession that she can't stand the feel of a man's touch and the one time she tries to kiss someone, his face comes into mind."

"Perhaps." Mr. Hale tilts his head. She knows that those golden irises are visible, and studying her shadow as she moves closer.

"Mr. Hale..." she says, stopping when he tenses at the name. "Jamie, tell me the truth. Is it just a story?"

"No, it's true." He focuses on the floor, grip tightening even more on the desk. Now the knuckles are white, and Alesia's sure he's bound to break the desk.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Alesiai stands face to face with him, still his head is bowed and she has to duck under to see his face.

"Because you were still a child, and you had already been through so much," he says, shoulders slumping forward as he makes his admission."I couldn't add on the whole soul-mate thing on top of everything you just went through."

"So, you let me go?" Shocked that he would even consider such a thing.

"I had too," Mr. Hale says, looking at her. "I had to have faith that you would some day come back to me."

"Even if it required a little push?" She smiles, leaning further so that they are inches apart.

Mr. Hale brushes his fingers across her cheek. For the first time in a long time, revulsion doesn't course through her body. She leans into the touch; welcoming it's warmth as his palm spreads to cup her cheek.

"It worked didn't it?"

She laughs, reaching up to remove the ever present glasses. Loving the way his eyes shines as he stares at her. She understands now. Knows what he is and what he means to her. Accepting him after all these years of being lonely.

"Yeah, even if it was a little creepy."

His chuckles, and Alesia wraps her arms around his waist, bringing them closer. Allowing him to feel her heart beat against his, trusting him. Her breath sweeps across his face as she stands on tip toes.

"Thank you," she whispers, brushing her lips across his. The movement hesitant before he grips the back of her neck to deepen the kiss.

Letting her know without words what he feels for her. Alesia accepts it, her heart pounding out of control at his touch. For once in a very long time she feels safe, loved even, and at that moment that is all that matters.

The End