Latin Lessons...

13 years old....

"Harold! What in god's name is that smell?"

Alesia hears Mr. Hale holler from the hallway, making her jump and drop the book she been putting away. The loud thump echos from the the room and call the two men. Mr. Hale and Harold march into the room. Alesia pales, half frightened as the younger man sniffs the air and faces her direction. She can't see his eyes; they are covered by the ever present dark glasses, but his muscles bunch up and his fingers clench into a knuckle white fist.

With a visible release of breath, Mr. Hale turns away.

"Get her out of here," he says to Harold. Alesia's mouth falls open, feet stumbling over the pegs of the ladder while attempting to get down.

"Sir, I'm sorry about the book," she says, rushing to the two men.

"Harold," Mr. Hale snaps, turning ever so slightly.

Harold steps between them, stopping her short of reaching Mr. Hale by grabbing at her arm. "Come on, child."

Mr. Hale continued facing away from her, as if she'd somehow offended him while Harold drags her from the room. Planting her feet against the floor, she pulls until she's able to turn to Mr. Hale.

"Please, Mr. Hale, my mother's sick today."

"We are well informed of your mother's state, now come on." Harold replies, continuing to drag her from the house. They reach the car and he practically throws her in the back seat.

When she arrives home, Vivian is already on the phone. Alesia can hear her saying things like, "I understand sir," and "It won't happen again."

Practically begging the man to understand the situation and making Alesia curious to what the situation could have been. She didn't do anything except drop a book. Not the first time that's happened. Probably won't be the last either.

With a sigh, she drops her bag off at the door and sits in the middle of the staircase, peering down at the living room below to listen to her mother's phone call.

"I know the risks. This one was just over looked," Vivian says, looking up at her daughter. With a reassuring smile, Vivian moves to the kitchen. Out of ear shot and away from Alesia's probing stare.

Alesia sighs, head falling onto her arms. Several minutes later Vivian joins her daughter on the staircase. Wrapping an around her shoulders to pull her closer.

"All I did was drop a book; it wasn't even one of his collector's editions." Alesia looks at Vivian, hoping to find some sympathy from the woman. Her mother's eyes crinkle at the sides and a warming smile spreads across her face.

"I know, honey."

"So, why did he freak out so badly?"

"Men are weird about some things," she says, patting her arm.

Alesia rolls her eyes.

"How are those cramps doing?" Vivian asks hoping to distract her daughter from this afternoon. It works; Alesia puts her face in her hands and starts shaking her head.

"They suck. I don't think I could get used to this every month." Alesia looks at her mother as the woman laughs and a small smile form on her own face.

"Oh, honey, it gets easier," Vivian says, her tone telling her it's a comforting lie.

"If you say so."

Another giggle erupts from Vivian. "Come on, I know the best way to get rid of those cramps."

Next week Alesia finds herself back in Mr. Hale's library, fingers flipping through one of his many books as she skims through its contents.

"Find anything interesting?"

Once again, she is startled enough to jump away from the shelves and book falls to the ground. "Shit."

"Watch the language," Mr. Hale says as he comes to stand next to her. Alesia nods. "Yes, sir," she mumbles, picking up the book.

The man scares her. She isn't about to lie about that, but he also intrigues her. He never speaks when she's around and sometimes Alesia catches herself just staring at him, now is no different.

"How did you know I was even in here?" she asks, gathering the courage to look at his face.

"Incredible hearing, and smell. Both told me someone was in here and who."

Alesia rolls her eyes, knowing he doesn't see the movement, and turns to place the book back on the shelf. When she finishes, Mr. Hale stands a few feet from her. Mr. Hale cocks his head in her direction as if he can see her.

"Is there something I could do for you, Mr. Hale?"

"Can you read any of the books on that shelf?"

Alesia looks at him oddly for a moment, curious as to why he asks.

"Not really," she replies, frightened of where this conversation is going.

"Would you care to?"

Alesia's eyes bulge; she would love to be able to read these stories. The first time she touched the books, she was disappointed to find they are all written in a foreign language, making her wonder stories they hold.

"I would love to."

"Glad to hear, I'll inform Harold," Mr. Hale smiles before turning to leave the room.

Alesia's shoulder's sag; she doesn't want to spend hours studying with Harold. He would make it a torturous experience. Neither of them got along and she can only imagine his horrified face when Mr. Hale orders him to teach her another language.

"Mr. Hale," Alesia says, eyes falling to the ground. Prepared to disappoint the man yet again.

"Be here tomorrow after school, I'll talk to your mother."