Twenty-One...

The shudder runs down Alesia's spine as her date caresses her cheek. She gives him a small smile even while pushing his hand off. Sure it is their second date, and he is expecting something more from her, but Alesia just can't do it.

The feel of a man's hand upon her makes her cringe. Even the slightest touch makes her stiffen, Daniel's face popping into her head as she turns from them.

The man nods, an understanding smile spreading across his lips as he takes a steps back. "Well, this was fun. We should do it again sometime."

Alesia nodded in understanding. "Sure, good-night."

Watching as the man get's in his car and drives away, a sigh escapes she realizes she is probably never going to see the man again. A part of her is relieved while the other half is disappointed with him, and herself.

Despite the familiar interior, walking into the dark hallway does little to rid her of the dim thoughts. The idea that she might be plagued by these thoughts for the rest of her life isn't a new one. In fact, it's grown exceeding dull over the years since the only way to beat the nightmares is to focus on another man. One she's sworn off for fear of what's unknown.

Hanging her coat and scarf on the peg, she turned toward the living room to flip the light on, determined to rid the dark thoughts with the light that pushes away the shadows. There's a figure sitting on her sofa, head lying limp in their hands, with a smile on the woman's face. Alesia jumps two feet In the air at the sight before recognizing Vivian smiling at her.

"Geez, you could have warned me you were here/" Alesia clutches at her chest to calm her pounding heart. Shaking her head at Vivian's surprise visit.

"Sorry, dear, I was just tired from the flight," her mother says, getting up to embrace her daughter.

"What are you doing here?"

"It's your twenty-first birthday. You think I wouldn't be here?" Vivian shakes Alesia's shoulders a bit before walking over to the counter and pulling out a wine bottle from the brown paper bag. "I can legally drink with my baby girl now," Vivian laughs while combing through Alesia's kitchen in search of a cork screw.

The young girl rolls her eyes at her mother's shenanigans, smiling all same. It's been nearly three months since their last visit, and she never thought she would feel as homesick as she does in this moment.

"Here," Vivian says, pulling the cork screw from the drawer and opening the bottle. "To turning twenty-one! May you have a golden year."

"Thanks mom."

Alesia smiles, turning slightly to keep Vivian from seeing the tear that form. A small package on the coffee table catches Alesia's attention. Curious, she turns to Vivian. "You didn't have to get me anything, mom. You, being here is enough."

"Oh I didn't." Vivian walks around to join Alesia on the sofa. "When I requested time off to come here Mr. Hale insisted I give this to you."

The package suddenly takes on a different meaning as the man's golden irises rise up in her memory. Alesia's fingers go numb where she is stroking the purple wrapping and silver bow. The package is heavy, never moving when shaken and she looks to Vivian.

Swallowing the lump rising, she turns to Vivian."So what are the plans for tonight?"

Her mother smiles, throwing her arms around Alesia's shoulders. "I thought some immensely cheesy chick flicks would be nice."

"Cheesy chick flicks would be great." Alesia agreed, giving her mother a huge grin, curling into the woman's side. Instant warmth fills her as Vivian's wrap an arm around her, and the golden irises disappear. At least for the moment. She knows they will return the moment she closes her eyes, but for the moment she is living it up with her mother.