Chapter One: First You Dream, Then You Die

She cannot contain the shock on her face as her eyes trace and retrace each letter that is written. She cannot decide if it is just a sweet love note left by her caring son, or if...if it is a final goodbye.
A suicide note.
Either way she cannot waste any more time figuring out which one it is. She drops the letter to the ground and sprints down the never ending steps in front of her house to the motel.
She swings open the office door and finds Alex Romero casually pouring a cup of coffee while making small talk with Emma.
"Have either of you seen Norman?" Norma asks, breathing heavily. Either it is her distraught voice or her crazed look that catches the attention of both bodies in the room.
"I haven't." Alex says.
"He went for a walk. Took off into the woods across the street." Emma says casually. She checks her watch.
"Actually, he should be back by now." she says.
"How long ago did he leave?" Norma asks impatiently.
"About an hour."
Norma's heart drops. An hour. That's long enough.
Norma takes off into the woods, searching for her boy. She jumps over fallen trees and expertly avoids sticks and roots that threaten to trip her.
"Norman!" she shouts, desperately searching for any sign of him. "Norman!"
She can feel herself begin to crumble as she realizes just how deep these woods go. She stops to catch her breath as tears fall down her cheeks.
The rustling of leaves make her look up again and search the woods with her eyes. She was sure she heard it, she didn't make it up. And then she spots him limping away with a gun in his hand.
"Norman!" she shouts, making him turn and look back at her. She gets onto her feet and takes off after him, quickly gaining on him due to his injury.
"Norman, stop this!" she shouts. She finally grabs him by his shirt, yanking him down to the ground. She smiles with relief until she realizes that he is now pointing the gun at her.
"Norman, stop. That isn't a toy." she warns him.
"Give me the gun." she says soothingly as she reaches for it. His grip tightens as he cocks the gun back with a menacing click.
"Norman, please. Why are you doing this?" she asks with a cry.
"I'm sorry mother. I didn't mean to hurt you. But I am going to do this and you're not going to stop me." he says, standing up. She peers up at him from her spot on the ground.
"But why? Why Norman?"
"Because I don't want to be who I am anymore. There's something wrong with me. I'm bad." he says. She shakes her head in disagreement.
"No. No you're not bad. You never meant to hurt anyone-"
"But I did. I know I did. I have these blackouts. I had one the day my father died. What happened that day, mother?" he asks. She slowly stands up.
"Give me the gun and I'll tell you." she says, reaching for it again. He steps back, the gun shaking in his hand.
"Tell me or I'll shoot you." he says.
"He was hurting me. And you were trying to protect me. You've always tried to protect me." she tells him.
"How can you ask me to live like this?" he asks.
"Because I will die if you leave. I will die, Norman. We are like the same person. If you kill your self, I'll be there one step after. We're supposed to be together. Please." she begs, tears streaming down her cheeks.
"You're right mother." he says, lowering the gun. She smiles, thinking she had finally won.
"You're right. We're meant to be together. But I am not meant to be in this world." he says. Her eyebrows scrunch together.
"So you don't have to stay either." he says, raising the gun back up to her. Before she can say anything else or stop him, he pulls the trigger, releasing the bullet.
She can feel it pierce her skin, right beside her shoulder. Her mouth opens to release a scream but nothing comes out. She falls to the ground, every little movement sending a fire through her body.
"You're truly welcome mother. I'll see you soon."
She watches as her son raises the gun to his head, resting it right on his temple. A mangled cry escapes her mouth as she tries to stop him but she is too late. Another shot sounds, echoing around them. Her son, her own boy, falls to the ground beside her and all she can do is watch as the blood falls from his head. His once lively eyes stares blankly ahead at the sky.
She can't just give up. She has to live, for Dylan. She needs to find help, but no one can hear her. No one will ever find her. She will rot here forever.
She can't let that happen. She reaches for her phone, the small action making her entire body writhe in pain. She finally grabs it and quickly dials the only person she wants to talk to. The only person she needs to see one last time. The ring fills her ear as she waits for him to pick up.
"Come on. Please." she whispers. Right as she is about to drop her hand back to the ground and wait for death to come for her, he answers.
"Norma? Where are you? Is everyone okay? I heard two gun shots. I called for backup-"
"Alex." she whispers, wanting him to stop talking. He was never much of a talker so why is he blabbing at the one time she needs him to listen.
"Norma, are you alright? You sound hurt." he says, his voice filled with worry.
"Alex...Norman...he shot..me." she breathes out.
"Where are you? Just tell me where to go. I'm coming, Norma." he says.
"Just go straight." she directs him. She can feel more blood spill from her body with each word she says, with each breath she takes.
"I'm coming, Norma. Please, just hold on. Hold on a little bit." he says. She can hear him run, his quick breaths entering her ear.
His lungs burn as well as his legs from the exertion. He isn't out of shape but he was out of breath when he stared the run. He can't lose her. Not now. So he ignores the pain in his ribs and he focuses on finding her. Alive.
"Norma, keep talking to me." he says, still looking for her. He hasn't heard her for a while which worries him. Silence follows his command, making him think of the worst possible outcome.
"Norma Louise, talk to me!" he shouts.
"I..m right...here." she spits out. He smiles hearing her voice.
"That's good. That's good, baby. Keep talking. Stay awake." he says. Her chapped lips pull up into a smile.
"You..you called me...baby." she whispers, making him chuckle.
"Don't think this changes things. If you tell anyone, I'll have to kill you." he says, trying to keep things light.
"Maybe i'll already be dead." she says, her voice leaving her.
"Don't say that." he says.
"I can hear...you. You must..be close." she says, opening her eyes to look around. She doesn't have enough strength to move her head to look so all she can see are the trees that look down on her.
"Where? Norma!" he shouts, putting his phone down. He looks around and sees something blue in the grass. He sprints over to it, ignoring his legs' protest. When he finds her, there is blood coming from her lips, staining her beautiful skin. Her dress is stained with her blood coming from her shoulder.
"You found me." she whispers, her blue eyes seeming dull. He wastes no time in picking her up and running back down the path he came from.
"Stay awake. Alright? I'm here now. You've been strong so far. Don't quit when you're almost finished." he tells her, feeling her body begin to go limp.
"I..m tired." she coughs up. Her breathing begins to come in labored moans, making him panic and run faster than he ever has before. He can't lose her.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I should've followed you into the woods. I should've protected you. I could've saved him. I-"
"Shh." she stops him. He glances down at her, watching as her eyes begin to close.
"No no no. Norma open your eyes. Norma Louise, open your eyes, you stubborn woman." he gasps out.
She uses all of her strength to lift her heavy eye lids and look at him. She traces the lines and curves of his face, memorizing it. She never noticed how soft his face is. At first glance, his face seems tough and mean. Like he wants to kill you. But if you stare at it and really look, he is still just a boy. A man who needs someone to love and someone to take care of him.
"Good girl." he breathes out, seeing the tree line.
"That's my girl. You're doing great. The paramedics are here. The hard part is over. You'll be okay." he says, laying her down on a stretcher.
"Oh my God! Norma!" Emma says, running to the stretcher.
"Mom!" Dylan shouts, following Emma. Dylan takes her hand in his, holding it to his chest while he pushes her hair away from her forehead.
"Mom, Im sorry." Dylan says. Norma closes her eyes, a soft smile on her lips.
"Norma, no. No open your eyes." Dylan says, shaking her shoulders.
"Norma, wake up." Emma shouts. Nothing is working. Alex, feeling helpless, steps forward to her stretcher.
"Norma Louise, look at me!" Alex shouts. Her eyes snap open and focus on him.
"Seems like she will only listen to you." Dylan says.
"We need to load her up. Who's riding with? We can take one." the paramedic says, stepping onto the helicopter. Alex looks to Dylan, expecting him to jump on.
"You need to go." Dylan says to Alex.
"Me? You're her son-"
"She will listen to you. You need to keep her alive. Please." Dylan says. Alex nods and Dylan and Emma run to their car while Alex gets in, grabbing Norma's hand.
"W..where..."
"We are on a helicopter. Don't worry, you'll be in the hospital soon." he tells her, stroking her cheek with the back of his hand. He watches as the doctor places an oxygen mask over her mouth and nose and her eyes slowly slip shut as she floats away from the rest of the world.