Chapter Eight: Letters

"Norma?" he says for the third time, finally catching her attention. She jumps and looks up at her therapist who is staring at her expectantly.
"I...I'm sorry. What?" she asks, heat rising to her cheeks.
"Would you like to tell me how you're feeling?" Mike asks.
She looks around at all of the different paintings in the room before finally settling her eyes on the coffee stain on his pants.
"Uhm...I'm doing...okay...I guess." she says quietly with a slight nod as she crosses her arms tightly over her chest.
"Are you okay?" he asks skeptically.
"Well...you never can tell these days, can you?" she asks with a slight, bitter laugh.
"It's been a few weeks since your last visitors have come. How does that make you feel?" he asks. Her eyebrows scrunch together as she tries to compose herself.
"They're busy. I know they are." she says.
"You're very strong, Norma. I can see that." he says. She looks over at him blankly before staring back at the spot that she always stares at during these sessions. He continued to stare at her, his eyes traveling all over her body. She glances over at him, catching him in the act, and shifts uncomfortably in her seat.
"Your husband...Alex, right?" he asks. She nods.
"He hasn't...he hasn't been around. Why is that?" he asks, trying to get her to get mad at Alex so that she would come to him for comfort.
"I just told you." she says, staring at the ground again.
"Can I go?" she asks.
"You still have five minutes left with me. You sure you want to waste them?" he asks, smiling at her seductively.
She nods and stands up, walking out into the hallway. She glances over at the front desk, feeling the urge to ask for her mail but she is tired of being told that no one had written her.
Had they forgotten about her already?
She passes the front desk, her eyes glued to the floor to stop any urge to ask.
"Mrs. Romero?" a lady calls out. She continues walking down the hall.
"Mrs. Romero!" the lady says again.
"Oh! Me. Right." Norma says, stopping and turning around. She still wasn't used to being called Mrs. Romero.
"You have a letter." she says. Norma looks at her with a mix of hesitancy and surprise.
"You're not joking with me, are you?" Norma asks. The lady smiles and holds out a cream colored envelope with her name scrawled on it in black ink. She grabbed the note, immediately recognizing the hand writing.
"Thank you." Norma whispers, practically running back to her room. Once her door is shut, she flops onto her bed, tearing the letter open. Her eyes scan the wards with a small smile on her face.
Norma Louise Romero (It has a nice ring to it),
I am so sorry for not being there for you lately. There is no excuse. I am writing this in hopes that maybe this will hold you over until I can reach you. I just want you to know that I believe in you. And not in a way that is stupid and cheesy and I am not saying it...or writing it because I think it's what you want to hear. I am writing it because I know that you are strong and smart and capable of caring for yourself. You can get through this. Because there is so much more in life once you overcome this grief. There are so many things we have yet to experience together. We have so many adventures we have yet to go on and we have so many versions of ourselves we have yet to be. So fight. Fight in every way you can. Because it's worth it.
Your husband,
Alex
She smiles softly as she reads and rereads his words. He believed in her and that made it all seem worth it. She drops the paper to the bed, watching it float down. Her eyebrows furrow as she sees something on the other side of the page. She grabs the paper and turns it over, reading the small lettering.
Turn the lights off and grab a flashlight.
Was it code? Why would she need a flashlight? She walks to her writing desk and opens the top drawer, pulling out the small flashlight. She clicks it on and flicks off the lights. When she shines the light on the paper, the ink appears.
They read each note that comes in and out of the institution and they wouldn't have given you this note if they had seen this.
I will be on the north side of the building, two windows down from the main exit. Meet me there at 2 in the morning if you would like to accompany me on our first adventure. I will wait for exactly fifteen minutes. If you don't show, then I will understand that you aren't up for an outing.
But, Norma...darling...I hope you join me.
A
Her heart pounded in her chest and she drops the flashlight to the ground. Darling. He is coming for her. And he called her darling. It was so unlike him. She had never seen this sensitive, term of endearment using side of the sheriff. She quickly rushes across the room and switches her light on, looking at the clock. It was only ten at night. She still had four hours. She couldn't stay in this room because she would just watch the clock the whole time. So instead, she walks out into the hallway and walks aimlessly through the empty, dark halls. It was after curfew and no one was allowed out of their rooms. Norma walked to where she is supposed to meet Alex, studying her route.
If she was going to sneak out, then she would have to know exactly where she is going so that she has less of a chance of getting caught.
"Norma?"
She gasps and turns around to see Mike, her therapist, walking up to her. He smiles widely, his eyes scanning her body in a way that made her uncomfortable. It was like he was hungry and she was a fresh slice of pizza.
"It's past curfew." he says quietly, standing a little too close to her. She steps back but hits the wall behind her.
"I was just...I had to use the restroom."
"You have one in your room." he says with an eyebrow raised.
"It...it's broken." she says, her eyes staring at the ground.
"I'll escort you back to your room." he says.
"Oh that's alright-"
"It's protocol." he says, grabbing her wrist. They walk up the stairs in silence, his eyes on her while her eyes stay on the ground. They stop at her room and she grabs the doorknob but his hand remains on her wrist.
"Thank you." she says, trying to pull her arm away. He tightens his grip, making her skin sting.
"Listen, Norma...your husband...he isn't around and...I know you have needs-"
"Pardon?" she asks with surprise.
"If you need...a helping hand-"
"Oh my God." she whispers, looking at him with disgust. She rips her arm away and walks into her room, locking her door behind her. She passes the rest of the time by reading Alex's letter over and over. Before she knew it, it was 2 in the morning and she was opening her door, sneaking into the dark hallway. She had changed into her nicest dress which happened to be a light blue one with short sleeves and white buttons down the back. It ended just below her knees and flared out slightly at her waist. She carries her white heels in her hand as her bare feet run through the hallways until she finally reaches the window. Her heart pounds inside of her chest at the fear of getting caught. She slowly opens it but it stops halfway up. She pushes again but it doesn't budge.
"It won't work." Alex whispers, making her gasp as he appears in front of her.
"I tried opening it all the way earlier." he says.
"You think you can fit through?" he asks, looking at the small opening.
"I can try." she whispers back. She looks down both sides of the hallway to ensure that they are alone before turning back to him.
"Here." she whispers, handing him her shoes. He grabs them and sets them aside before turning back to her. She sticks her head through and then her arms.
"It'll be a tight squeeze when I get to...my lower back." she whispers, referring to her butt. She grabs his shoulders while he grabs her waist, sliding her out of the window. Her feet hit the ground with a soft thud and they smile at each other. His eyes run up and down her body but his gaze was different than the way Mike had looked at her earlier. With Mike, it had been uncomfortable because he looked at her with hunger. With Alex, she felt calm. It was like he was checking to see if she was alright.
"I feel like a teenager again. Sneaking out." she whispers. He smiles and reaches behind her to shut the window.
"That's the plan." he whispers, bending down to grab her shoes and slip them onto her feet.
"Ready?" he asks.
"More than ready."