Chapter Five: It's All In Vain

They walk into the facility and wait patiently in one of the chairs. Norma bounces her knee up and down with nervousness as she looks around the place.
"It's a nice place. And you won't be here forever. Just until you're better." he whispers to her. She nods, still looking around nervously.
"Mrs Bates?" a woman says, walking in. They both rise from their chairs to greet the woman.
"Right this way." she says, leading them down the hallway and into an office.
"So you're looking to commit yourself?" the woman asks.
"Uh...well yes. But I'm not insane or anything." Norma says as they sit down.
"Of course not. Do you have your doctor's referral?" she asks, sorting through papers.
"My...no, actually. I haven't been seeing a doctor." Norma says nervously.
"You haven't? It says here that you're depressed. That you're afraid of yourself. And you haven't gone to a doctor?" she asks, reading Norma's file.
"Well I have seen a doctor but that was..." she trails off, thinking about the last time she had seen a doctor.
"She was shot a few months ago and her son passed away. That's what has triggered this sudden depression. She was usually a very joyful and quite boisterous young woman." Alex says, knowing how hard this must be for Norma.
"I see. Well there is quite a long waiting list and you need a doctor to even be written on the waiting list-"
"How much will this place cost?" Norma asks.
"Well we speak directly with your insurance company and then find out the total." the woman says politely.
"You don't have a ball park?" she asks.
"I'm afraid not. Not until we talk to your doctor and insurance company." she says as if reading from a script.
"Well thank you." Alex says, standing up and shaking her hand. He looks down at Norma who is still sitting, staring at the lady. He gently grabs her arm and helps her up.
"Time to leave, Norma." he tells her. She numbly allows him to lead her out of the room. The old her would have fought with the lady. Told her how stupid her rules were and that she needs help. Though, if she were the old her...if Norman were still alive, she wouldn't be here at Pineview.
"Do I really need to go still? I mean I have been getting better these past few weeks. I've been happier." she says as they get into the car.
"It's better to be safe." he says, as they begin to drive home. He looks over and sees her upset face.
"It'll be alright. We will get you a doctor and get you on the list." Alex tells her.
"I don't want a doctor. I don't want to be in a mental institution." she says softly.
"I know. But it's what is best. And you wouldn't be alone. The three of us would be down there as much as possible-"
"Stop pretending like you care about me." she tells him, getting out of the car as soon as it stops.
"Norma, what are you talking about?" he asks, following her up the steps.
"You've never liked me before this whole accident. You made it clear that we weren't even friends. You're doing this for the attention and it's wrong of you." she says, attempting to slam the front door in his face. He sticks his foot in between the door and the wall and pushes it back open.
"Why are you pushing me away, Norma?" he asks.
"I'm just....just tired." she says, but you could tell it was not just a lack of sleep but a lack of hope and happiness that made her act this way. She pushes him out of the house as he protests.
"I can help you."
"I don't need your pity help!" she shouts, slamming the door in his face.
"I'm going to go find a doctor. I'll be back in an hour." he shouts.
"I don't want you back here. I hate you!" she shouts. She doesn't mean the words that come from her mouth but she has to say them. It will lessen the pain for him when she is finished. It's better if he hates her.
He lets the words crush his heart and he quickly walks down the steps only to see Dylan and Emma walking up. Dylan stops Alex before he can pass.
"Hey, one of the motel guests left this in her room." Dylan says, holding a flash drive in his hand.
"She told me to use it. To do something with it. Use it for me and my mother. And then she left." he says, handing the device to Alex.
"Alright. Well I'll put it in the house for now. Until we find out who this belongs to and what's on it." Alex says, walking with them back up to the house. Dylan pulls out his house key and unlocks the door. They open the door and step inside.
Alex stops mid step when he hears Norma's sobbing. He follows the sound with Dylan and Emma behind him. They find her in the kitchen with a knife held in her hand.
"Norma," Alex says, making her jump and turn to face them. "Put it down."
"No." she whispers.
"Put it down. Now!" Dylan shouts.
"No!" she shouts back.
"Norma please. Please don't do this." Alex whispers.
"Don't kill yourself. Okay? Please. Please don't." he says, stepping toward her. She steps back and places it to her wrist.
"Don't allow your wounds to turn you into a person you aren't. Okay? Don't let your depression kill you." Alex says calmly. He takes a step toward her and she steps back.
"We can't live without you, Norma." he tells her, trying to calm her down.
"I'm very easy to replace." she tells him.
"Norma please." Emma says, crying.
"Stop this!" Alex shouts, tears running down his face. She begins to press the knife into her skin. He runs to her and grabs the hand that holds the knife. She struggles against him, pushing him away and kicking him but his hand stays gripped around her wrist.
"No! No! Let me die!" she shouts. Dylan steps in, holding her other arm. They push her against the wall as she struggles.
"I want to die. Let me die!" she cries. Emma grabs the knife and pries it out of Norma's hand, quickly throwing it into the sink. Dylan let's go of her wrist while Alex holds her tightly to his chest.
"Let me die. I want to die. Let me die." she whispers, still crying.
"It's going to be okay." Alex whispers, tightening his grip on her. "I promise. You're going to get through this."
Dylan grabs her arm, covering the small cut with a piece of gauze and taping it to her arm.
"I want Norman." she cries.
"I'm sorry." Alex whispers.
"I want Dylan." she says, reaching out to him. Dylan takes her in his arms, hugging her tightly.
"Let's go to bed. Okay?" Dylan asks. Norma nods and the pair slowly walk to her room. Dylan tucks her into her bed, handing her two of her anti depressant pills. He walks away to the door and she stops him.
"Dyl?" she asks. "Will you sleep with me?" she asks. He looks at her hesitantly, remembering how he got onto her for letting Norman sleep with her. But he also remembers how he almost lost her.
"Just for tonight." Dylan says, walking back to her bed. She scoots over and lays on his chest, hugging him.
"Thank you." she whispers.
"Norma...mom, can I ask you something?" he asks.
"Of course." she says.
"Am I not good enough for you?" he asks. She looks up to see his face displaying a look of pain.
"Wha-"
"I get that you miss him. But you almost put me, Emma, and Alex through hell. Could you imagine if Alex or Emma and I came home and found you..." he trails off.
"I didn't think things would get this bad. I'm sorry." she whispers.
"I wasn't thinking about anyone but myself. I...I just feel like a burden. I mean the medical bills and now the mental institution. Dyl, I don't even have insurance. There is no way that place is gonna take me in." she says sadly.
"I'll figure it out. But...just promise me you'll never do that again." he says.
"Okay." she says.
"Promise you won't." Dylan says.
"I promise I won't try to kill myself again."