XXIV - Goodbye, For Now

The gathered rebels immediately went to work as soon as the ceremony ended. All hands had been recruited to pack and evacuate the temple as quickly as possible. With most of her personal belongings already on the Starbird, Mara didn't have much to do in her bunker, so she went around the hangars helping the deckhands load equipment. Dozens of ship arrived to assist them. Mara wasn't sad they're leaving - it wasn't like they had any choice - but she was somewhat nostalgic. The Massassi Temple wasn't a home, but it had been a place to return to, and a place to recuperate after each mission. 

With this new mission, she wasn't sure when she would have that again. 

After helping the deckhands for a good couple of hours, she had made her excuses to slip onto the Starbird. From the cockpit window, she watched as the hangar was slowly, slowly emptied. It would take a few days to evacuate completely, she was sure, but it was still surreal, seeing the already giant space grow even larger as equipment was rolled out or packed away. 

"Mara?"

She looked over her shoulder to see Leia stepping into the cockpit. The princess had changed out of her ceremonial clothes like Mara had not too long ago, now in some brown trousers and a white tunic. Her hair was done in just a simple braid, pulled over her shoulder. Mara couldn't help but think she was dressed like she was going somewhere. 

Mara stood up from her seat, giving her a smile. "Princess. Everything alright?"

"Given everything that's happened, yes, I'd say so," Leia said, wringing her hands together. "I came to talk with you about something I think we'll both find dear to us."

Mara raised an eyebrow, prompting her on with a nod.

"After the ceremony, I was approached by a woman," she began, "named Evaan Verlaine. She told me that there are rumors that the Empire is hunting down surviving Alderaanians. They mean to wipe us out completely."

Mara's expression grew dark at the prospect of the Empire eradicating her people completely. "You want to help them." It was hardly even a question - of course she did.

Leia nodded. "There would be no forgiving myself if I stand by and watch Alderaanians be hunted by the Empire. It's more than just duty." She met Mara's eyes. "I came to extend the invitation."

Mara dropped her gaze down in slight shame. "Believe me, Princess, I want to."

Leia tilted her head. "But?"

"There's something I have to do." Mara didn't meet her gaze, kneading her hands together. "It's about my mother... You know she was a Jedi. I never met her, but... Vader apparently did."

The mention of Vader caused Leia's eyes to widen just slightly before she quickly shooed the expression away. It made Mara wonder, once again, what exactly had happened to her on the Death Star before the Falcon had arrived. 

"He told me something about her," Mara continued, carefully picking her words so that she didn't give too much away, but also trying to fill Leia in as much as possible. She was her friend, after all. "Something that may or may not be true. But I need to find out. It's... something I have to do on my own. Outside the Alliance."

There was a surprising amount of understanding in Leia's eyes. "I understand wanting to know the truth. Did you speak with General Dodonna? He already discouraged Evaan and I leaving."

"I did. He granted me a leave of absence," Mara said. "I'm guessing you didn't have as much luck?"

Leia shook her head. "I'm afraid not." She met Mara's gaze with a mischievous gleam in her eyes. "I guess I'll just have to make it out before they catch me, then."