XXX - Branches of Rebellion

“You know what, Nevaeh? You are reckless, crazy, you almost got us killed, and... that was awesome.”

Mara collapsed into her chair with a loud exhale and a laugh. Oh, Cassian would have had her head for that if he’d seen it. 

Strata flopped back, too, catching her breath. Mara eyed her as she threw her feet onto the control panel once again. She didn’t get a chance to say anything, however, before Dusty slid into the cockpit, Lorelei and Delta following. 

“Nice flying back there, kid,” Delta said. “You a pilot back in your Alliance?”

Mara gave him a little salute. “Starfighter corps.”

Dusty eyed her with something akin to fleeting respect, and nodded. “Not bad.”

“So, where is it we’re heading, exactly?” Strata asked, sitting up in her seat. “Reeda?”

“Raada,” Lorelei gently corrected. “It’s our home.”

“And the Empire won’t be a problem for us out there,” Mara said. If she was going to take Strata, she wanted to be sure she’d be safe. The girl had already risked her life enough. 

Nothing about the long glance exchanged between Delta and his brother assured her of the fact. 

“Well, they won’t be looking for ya, so there’s that,” Delta said. “But they’re there. Where are they not, nowadays?”

Mara frowned. “Great.”

“Better than Coruscant,” Strata said, shooting her a look.

“Not better than going home,” Mara said. 

Strata sat back. “Did I just hear you say that? You want to go back?”

“To drop you off? I’m considering it.” Mara turned towards the younger girl. “We almost died at Calla’s house. I shouldn’t have let you risk your life by even coming along in the first place.”

“Nevaeh. I knew what I was getting myself into–”

Mara held up a hand, stopping her. “We’ll talk about this later. I need to think.” She looked back up to Lorelei and the two clones. “In the meantime, I’m more than happy to take you to Raada.”

Lorelei smiled at her. “Thank you.”

“I won’t be taking any of the main hyperspace lanes, though.” With a glance at the navicomputer, Mara added, “We’ll have a few hours to kill, at least.”

As everyone filed out of the cockpit, Mara took a few minutes to make some corrections to their course. They’d have to hop over quite a few nebulae and asteroid fields to get there with the fuel they had. She hadn’t had the chance to fill up while they on Coruscant. Shaking her head, Mara dragged herself out to the longue where the rest of the passengers had gathered. 

The Starbird had a longue roomier and better furnished than the one on the Falcon; one of the perks of owning a repurposed star yacht. Mara sankt into a seat close to the radar screens, keeping an eye on their travel. 

She directed Delta and Dusty to the guest quarters, since Strata already occupied the first mate’s. She could assume they wanted to rest just as much as she did. As the two clones left, however, Lorelei lingered inside the longue. 

“Mara,” she said, taking a tentative seat at the table. “Tell me. How was it that you met the princess? You mentioned she was on the same station that– that destroyed Alderaan.”

Mara nodded. “I did. It’s called the Death Star. It intercepted the Princess’ Blockade Runner, on our way to Alderaan.”

Lorelei leaned over the table. “I’ve heard… rumors – whispers – that it’s been destroyed. Is it true? It’s gone?”