Exes and Body Bags

"Mike Montgomery in the flesh. How was Greenland?" Noel said in an irritable tone silently sizing up Mike. Who might I say in one year he went from looking like a middle school kid to one of the Hemsworth brothers.

"Actually it was Iceland and it was amazing. I think Laurie would've liked it" Mike replied even sharper than Noel. I could tell there was about to be a fight in the hallway. "Lauren would you like to go to The Brew with me tonight. I haven't had their food in a while and I would love to catch up with you." I could feel Noel tense up but I didn't really care. Mike and I really needed to discuss some things. "Sure I'd like that." Noel kind of gave him this I'm gonna kick your ass look as he said, " I can go with."

"No I'm a big girl. I can handle myself besides you have lacrosse practice. I'll call you after though don't worry. So I guess I'll see you after school then."

"Yeah, see you then. Bye Noel." These boys are going to kill each other. The rest of the day went off without a hitch. The bell rang at exactly 3:15 and as much as hate to admit, I'm really nervous to meet with Mike. I was about to head to my car when Spencer stopped me.

"I'm freaking out Lauren." Of course I knew exactly what she was talking about. I'm kind of like her only friend now a days besides her academic career. "You're just meeting Melissa's boyfriend and didn't you say Hanna picked you out an outfit for tonight."

"Yes but that-" "Spence, Hanna has a killer fashion sense. All you have to do is turn on the Hastings charm. There's nothing to worry about and if you need me just call me." That seemed to calm her down a little. On any other given day I would've offered to help her get ready but we'll I have plans now.

"Promise you'll answer." She said as she stuck out her pinkie, an old tradition that we've done since we were four years old by the way. "I promise." I replied as I wrapped my pinkie around hers.

I walked into The Brew around 3:30 and Mike was waving at me from his seat at our table. I sat down and took a sip of the coffee he had waiting for me, my favorite. "Hey Laurie, I know why you never came to Iceland and I don't blame you. The last thing I wanted was for that night to ever come between what you and I had. I'm sorry." I had been thinking about that night all day. I can't do it anymore.

"I don't want to talk about that right now. We will later. I just need my friend right now. Deal." Yet another ancient tradition. He smiled as he said it back. God knows I've missed that smile. "So how was Iceland? Do you have any pictures?"

"Well as I stated this morning is was amazing. My head has never felt clearer in my life." He said as he showed me the beautiful shots that I no one else but Aria could've taken. "Okay my turn. How the hell did a girl like you end up with that ass Noel Kahn."

"What are you talking about? He's genuinely a good guy. I mean he has his faults but he's working on them just like everyone else." I got a little ticked off by this question because he has no right to ask it. He left Rosewood and everything and everyone behind him.

"I'm sorry. I just know you could do a lot better. I'm only thinking about what's best for you." I'm going to admit the next words I said weren't very nice. "Thinking of what's best for me. What was best for me was you not leaving. God dammit Mike I needed you, My best disappeared and I needed you. Was that wrong? Was I wrong? You really want to know how my year has been going then let me tell you. Horrible isn't even in the right ballpark. You want to know why? It was because the guy who promised to always be here for me left." I knew there was probably a crowd a people looking at me right now but I didn't care. I needed to get some things off my chest.

"You could've called me. I would've answered."

"Mike I picked up my phone a thousand times and tried to dial your number but I could never hit send. The point is I should not have had to call you. You just should've been there for me and you weren't." The last sentence was so quiet but I knew to him it was screaming because I know Mike. He hates letting people down.

That's one of the reasons I fell in love with him.