chapter one

Luke's point of view

"I'm late," I rushed to my roommate as I quickly threw a handful of mints in my mouth since I didn't have time to brush my teeth. "I'll see you later on Calum."

"I told you not to binge watch that dumb season." He tsk'ed and I rolled my eyes before grabbing his cup of coffee, drinking some quickly. "Ew Luke, mints and coffee?"

"I am twenty minutes late, have on the same briefs that I've been wearing for the past three days, and look like I haven't slept in ten. Mints with coffee is the least of my worries." I told him and he rolled his eyes, flicking water at me.

"Well get going then blondie. I'm gonna wash dishes and then get ready. Have a good day." He chuckled and I thanked him before plucking the keys from beside the fruit basket. "Wash your dirty laundry!"

"Take my job then!" I shouted and then shut the door. I ran a hand over my face frustratedly and then ran downstairs through the lobby, unlocking my car and getting in quickly.

God, Mrs. Irwin is going to murder me. I was late a majority of last week too.

I quickly turned the car on and then pulled out of the parking lot, speeding out of here and on to the main road. I turned the radio on, but then turned it off when all I heard was wanna be hip-hop garbage. The same songs have been playing on repeat and I'd it was irritating.

I took the freeway, speeding down the road in hopes I didn't get pulled over by the police. Luckily I didn't, but I did get a lot of angry honks and middle fingers. I ignored them all however. What normally took me twenty minutes to get to work, miraculously it only took me ten to fifteen minutes today. I thank God that I didn't get pulled over or stuck in some kind of traffic.

I quickly parked in my assigned spot and then ran inside the building, straightening up my tie on the way. I walked in through the revolving doors and then smiled at the receptionist. "Again Luke?"

"I know. I'm sorry." I apologized and she shook her head as she chuckled. "Where is-"

"Mrs. Irwin is currently in a meeting. You may wait in her office. She should be done in fifteen minutes." She told me and I thanked her before running up to the elevators.

I waited patiently for an elevator, and by patiently, I meant tapping my foot irritatedly against the tiled floor and counting the seconds that passed. So maybe I wasn't to patient about it.

When one finally came down, I was quick to walk inside, immediately pressing Mrs. Irwin's floor number. I sighed and leaned against the wooden walls, closing my eyes and taking a deep breath.

I am so fucking tired.

I ran a hand over my face when I heard the soft ding of the elevator and I walked out, apologizing to someone when I bumped into them. I made my way to Mrs. Irwin's office quickly, walking in and then sitting down on a chair.

I had ten minutes to kill, so I rested my elbows on her desk, leaned over at an awkward yet comfortable position, and took a deep breath as I tried getting over my minor headache and stomach ache. I don't suppose this day could get any worse.

Mints with coffee was not my brightest move today. I was really starting to regret that.

I closed my eyes and yawned quietly, my stomach turning and twisting in a painful way. The thought of jumping out the window in front of me, which was over ten stories high, was more than just appealing, but I fought the urge. I'd survive.

-

"Luke!"

I jumped up and then looked around, seeing Mrs. Irwin standing by her desk with her arms crossed over her chest. "What in the world is wrong with you?"