Heartbreaking News

It was midnight when mum got home and the landline rang "Hello? Oh Fern hey!" I heard mum say "Is everything alright? I'll tell her tonight." Mum said before hanging up. I didn't think mum would tell me tonight so I wrote the information that I had, on my arm.
I went to school ducking and diving all of the paper airplanes full of nasty and hurtful comments. Nicole and I have five classes together, but she wasn't in any of them. It wasn't like her to be sick, but I mean anything is possible.
I went home and found mum scrolling through Facebook laughing then she looked up at me "I shouldn't be laughing." she said still laughing "Do you know if anything happened to Nicole?" I asked getting a tad worried "She went up to her grandparents house." Mum said still laughing "What?" I said sitting beside her and she slid me her phone. There was a picture of Mack and her family everyone was smiling but her. "What?" I asked confused "She moved to Africa because her father is doing ministry work down there." she said as I remembered that her dad preached at our church last year. "And one of the people in Africa didn't know what  her phone was and they threw it in mud. She didn't want to get dirty so she left it." I looked at her "They said they won't be back for several years." Mum was still laughing then her phone rang "Hello. Fern hey. No I didn't tell her. I don't think she's-I'm ready." Mum's beautiful smile slowly disappeared. I waited for her to get off the phone "What did Fern want?" I asked nervous "You know how Fern's a doctor?" Mum asked taking a seat and I nodded thinking about how mum and Fern were/are friends and now Nicole and I are friends. "She found cancer. I have breast cancer." Mum said as I started to cry.
Mum started going to the hospital everyday because of the cancer. I got home and mum was at the hospital so today was the first day that I could whatever I wanted. I walked over to a tattoo parlor and got a tattoo on my forearm the exact same one that Shawn has and I got the breast cancer ribbon on my chest. I walked out of the tattoo parlor in some pain then I decided to go to the prison. I walked to the prison and asked the officer if I could speak to Chad Hamilton. The officer led my down halls of screamin g inmates then the officer opened a door and I saw dad "Everything's crazy." I sat down almost crying "Everything's gonna be crazy." he said starting to get up "How do you know if love is true or not?" I asked making him stop in his tracks "Well. You'll want to be with them. All the time. You'll get a warm feeling when you think of them. Your heart will know what to do. Just listen to your heart." he said before walking out not noticing my tattoos. I stepped outside; walked home in the rain. When I got home one of my neighbors Karen wanted me to watch her daughter Aaylaigh so I agreed.
I walked over to Karen's house and knocked on the door and Karen answered "Thank you. Aaylaigh's older brother is out of town and me and my husband are gonna go out to a gathering our friends are having tonight." Karen said while a man stepped outside taking her hand and walking out to the car. I looked over at Aaylaigh who looked about 11. She looked up from her phone smiling let me give you a tour; she stood up showing me the living room and kitchen. We walked up the stairs to her room, her parents bedroom, and the bathroom. There was one room left "What room is this?" I asked stepping into the room "My brother Shawn's room. He comes home-here tomorrow." she said touching a guitar that laid propped against the wall "My boyfriend come home-here-Canada next week." I said looking around the room "His name is Shawn too." I kind of chocked up before looking out the bedroom window and saw two rocks a few feet away from the window. One rock was propped up against the other rock and the rocks had writing on them "What's that?" I asked pointing down at the rocks as Aaylaigh peered out the window "That's Jasmine." she said heading out of the room "Shawn named a rock?" I tried not to crack up "No. Jasmine was Shawn's cat." she said before bringing me back downstairs.
Aaylaigh and I watched a movie then I heard a key in the door then I looked down to see that I hand changed into a sports bra and running shorts that way I wasn't in my soaking wet clothes. The door slowly opened and I heard a man say "Aaylaigh?" and she stood up running to him "Shawn I thought you'd be home tomorrow!" she said laughing "I got done touring early. Who's the babysitter?" he asked from only seeing the back of me "That's Skylar. Hamilton?" she asked and I nodded not moving anything but my head up and down.