Chapter 5 - Prisoner

I began to see red, my wolf begging to take control. Elijah was our mate, I was the rightful Luna. How dare she! I could hear Elijah yelling at the whore, but I couldn't make out what he was saying. My temper was about to fully erupt.

"Listen bitch," I hissed in return. "This is my mate, and my pack, so unless you want to get your prissy little head ripped off, I suggest you get the fuck out of here."

I may not be sure how I feel about being in this pack, having my mate, and being Luna, but I sure as hell wasn't going to be insulted by a whore. Her mouth hung open as she absorbed my words, and I could feel everyone's eyes on me.

"Tell her Elijah! Tell her about how I was being trained to become your Luna!" Kailah shrieked.

"Enough Kailah! Leave!" Elijah shouted. Until now I hadn't heard him use such a serious tone.

"No, I'm going to take what's mine. Just wait. I'd make a better Luna than some rogue any day."

I was seething. Her final words were enough to completely set me off. I jumped up from my chair, pushing it back behind me, and prepared to attack. My body set itself into a fighting stance, ready to shift if necessary. Just as I was about to lunge at the bitch, a streak of red hair intercepted me. Confusion interrupted my anger for a moment as I took a step back just in time to see Daphne punch Kailah square in the jaw.

"Don't you dare talk to my family like that!" Daphne growled as she proceeded to backhand Kailah.

I knew I liked that girl.

My anger faded into pure astonishment. Part of me wanted to be angry that Daphne had stolen my fight, but I was too impressed to be mad at her. Daphne's bubbly personality almost made me forget that she had Alpha blood in her veins.

Kailah finally accepted her defeat and picked herself up off the ground. I glared at her as she stormed out of the dining hall clutching her cheek.

Everyone took their seats at the table again, trying to act like nothing happened. Daphne shot me a smirk as she sat back down next to Kenneth, and then we all continued our meal in silence. The joyful mood that originally surrounded the dinner was now completely thrown off, and I knew Elijah and I were going to have to have a talk once we were alone. I wouldn't make a scene in front of his family.

I needed to know why that bitch insisted that she deserved to be Luna. Had Elijah given up on finding me? I may still be unsure about the whole mate situation, but that thought hurt.

Dinner was soon over and everyone made small talk before heading back to their appropriate wings for the night. Elijah and I walked back in silence. Was he scared of me now, or did he just know that I was still pissed off? Surely a manly Alpha like himself wouldn't be afraid of any she-wolf. Perhaps he was just disappointed in my actions. I really didn't care either way because I was the one who deserved answers.

As we entered the Alpha's wing, I went straight for the living room, knowing Elijah would follow. I sat down on his plush sofa and crossed my arms, looking up at him with a cocked eyebrow.

"Care to explain why that bitch seems to think she deserves my place?" I asked, no longer caring about maintaining a verbal-filter.

Elijah let out a long sigh before sitting down next to me. He ruffled his hair, seeming frustrated, but as usual, he approached me with a calm demeanor.

"Of course, Lena, you deserve to know," he started.

"I searched for you for five years. Every pack needs a Luna, it makes them stronger. After five years I became discouraged. I searched every pack for my mate with no results. My family thought it might be a good idea to have sort of a competition. Any female of age in the pack could participate, and the idea was to find the she-wolf with the most skill," he explained. I thought the idea sounded ridiculous.