Chapter 25 - Forgiveness

As soon as Elijah informed me of how soon Zane and Dean would be arriving, I spun around and set off in the direction of the Alpha's quarters, leaving Elijah slightly behind me. I may have been feeling down and confused, but I needed to look my damn best for this meeting. I refused to have Dean look at me in any kind of derogatory way.

"Lena!" Elijah called out from behind me as I finally reached the main staircase. I knew he'd catch up to me any second. His Alpha-speed wouldn't allow him to be outrun.

"No time to waste!" I called back as I began climbing the stairs.

Just as I reached our floor, Elijah had grabbed my wrist and spun me around to face him. I looked up, my eyes wide from the sudden movement, to see him staring down at me with furrowed eyebrows and a rather disgruntled look on his face.

"Why are you avoiding me? Did I do something?" he asked with a soft, puppyish look in his eyes.

Now it was my turn to look bewildered.

"What?" I exclaimed, yanking my wrist out of his hand with a huff. "What are you talking about, Elijah? I need to get ready for the damn meeting."

Spinning back around, I quickly finished the walk to our wing and pulled open the door, leaving it open for Elijah to follow me through.

"Not just right now!" he said, raising his voice so that I'd hear him as he tried to catch up to me once again. "You've been like this since we got back home, and even worse since your parents got here. I understand you're going through a lot, but don't push me away, Lena. We've made too much progress for that."

I felt my temper start to flare ever so slightly. I didn't want to blow up at my mate, but he was beginning to frustrate me. He didn't understand how I dealt with tough situations. He didn't understand how I dealt with everything for years as a rogue. I just needed time and space to do my own thing.

Taking a deep breath and attempting to reel in my budding anger, I replied, "You're being ridiculous."

Perhaps not the wisest thing to say, but it was the best come-back I had at the moment without completely losing my shit.

I grabbed a nice outfit from the closet before turning back around to head into the bathroom, only to be met with Elijah's deep, hurt gaze.

My heart sank at the sight. I knew Elijah valued emotions and communication much more than I did, and I'd just brushed off his feelings.

"Okay then," he spoke, his jaw clenched. "Don't be late."

With that, he turned around and walked out of the room. I stood there, frozen in disappointment from my actions. A few seconds later, I heard the front door shut, indicating that he'd left the wing.

I sighed and shook my head as my wolf growled at me, clearly upset with my behavior. She urged me to follow after Elijah and apologize, to explain what was really going through my head, but I refused. The damage was done for now. Perhaps some space before this meeting would help clear my mind, and then I'd be able to sort things out with Elijah properly.

I quickly dressed in a nice pair of black, form-fitting pants paired with a royal-blue button-up and classic black flats before making an effort to tame my hair. It was wavy and frizzy with bits sticking out here and there from the neglect it'd received over the past several days. I knew immediately that the only solution was the straighten it – something I rarely ever did.

I'd only become aware of a straightener since living in Polar Moon. They were fascinating products, but it was such a hassle to take the time to straighten my hair every single day. I didn't think it looked all that bad natural, anyways.