Chapter 17 - Guilt

Alpha Zane seemed like a cocky little bastard, and I could immediately see why Elijah wasn't fond of him. I raised an eyebrow at him, much less impressed with his grand entrance than he apparently was.

"Where is Elijah? Why didn't he come up here?" I asked, not wanting to waste any time. It didn't make sense that he wasn't responding to my mind-links.

"Elijah is a bit...preoccupied at the moment, so seeing as the whole point of this was to rescue the Luna of Polar Moon, and I promised Elijah that it would be done, I decided to come in his place," Zane responded nonchalantly as he leaned against the door frame.

My heart rate spiked, "What do you mean he's preoccupied? Is he okay?"

"He's injured and currently unconscious, but he will be fine," Zane replied.

My anxiety grew at an alarming rate. My mate was injured because of me. A war was started because of me. Elijah was unconscious because of me.

"You have to take me to him. Now," I demanded.

"He's already being transported back to Night Fire for medical treatment. If you come with me, I'll take you to my pack so you can be with him. I trust my men to stay behind and finish this fight."

Wonderful. A car ride with Alpha Zane was just what I needed to calm my nerves.

Without waiting for any further confirmation from me, Zane turned around and exited the room, making his way towards the stairs. I took off after him, knowing he was my only chance to get out of here. I certainly didn't trust the man, but it was my only option.

As we made our way downstairs, the sounds of war became louder and much harder to ignore. I cringed as I took in the loud, threatening growls and the equally loud whimpers of defeat. I mentally braced myself for the images I may see as I exited the pack house, but such a sight was nearly impossible to prepare for.

We reached the bottom floor and Zane wasted no time turning and heading for the back of the pack house, likely looking for a back exit so Dean wouldn't witness my escape. As we reached the back door, I noticed a sleek back car was pulled up to the exit, ready to speed off with Zane and I in tow.

Zane grabbed my arm and pulled me out the back door before flinging open the door to the back seat and urging me to get inside. I complied, not wishing to draw any attention to us. Once I was secure in the back seat, Zane placed himself in the front passenger seat and motioned for the driver to take off.

"This is my Gamma, Liam. My Beta is in charge of the warriors currently, but Liam will do a fine job of getting us back to Night Fire within a few hours," Zane explained casually.

Liam nodded, but didn't speak a word. He had jet black hair and tanned skin just like Zane, but didn't turn to acknowledge me so I could see his eyes or any of his facial features. It seemed Night Fire and Dark Root wolves had quite a bit in common with their serious demeanor, although Alpha Zane did have a bit of a playful personality. It was tauntingly playful, but more of a personality than Alpha Dean possessed, regardless.

"You're much quieter than I imagined, Lena. I was really expecting you to be a fiery one," Zane said with a chuckle.

"I've been drugged for a few days and want to see my mate. Sorry to disappoint," I growled.

Zane chuckled again, "Ah, there it is."

I decided to ignore his amusement and continue with my own endeavors, "Is this drive really going to take hours? My mate needs me."

"Elijah is an Alpha. He will get on just fine without you," Zane replied.

Great, another misogynistic asshole.