Feisty Little Kitten

Tides of Virtue - Chapter 1 (Fairy Tail Fan-Fiction)

Year: X777

Rays of light flashed over her eyelids, gently lulling her from the dark, emptiness of her dreams. Opening her eyes, the little girl woke to a room that was not her own. The walls were a creamy-white color and the floors were made of dark, polished oak-wood. Sitting next to her in a chair, was a woman that she did not recognize. She had hair like spun gold and deep, chocolaty brown-eyes and she was dressed in a fancy pink gown.

"Where am I?" the little girl asked softly, rubbing the sleep from her eyes.

The woman smiled at her. "You're finally awake. I was beginning to worry for a moment there," she said quietly. Her voice was sweet and smooth, just like molasses. "As for where you are: this is my home."

"Your home? Then who are you?"

"My name is Layla Heartfilia. And this--" she gestured to a small girl standing behind her "--is my daughter, Lucy." She looked exactly like her mother--same hair, same eyes, same soft features.

Walking forward, Lucy cleared her throat. "Hi, it's nice to meet you... uh--"

"My name is Serenity. Serenity Rose," the little girl interjected.

"You have a pretty name."

"Thank you." Serenity turned her attention back to Layla. "How did I get here? I remember running through a dark forest, then--" she paused, thinking hard "--everything is black after that."

Layla frowned. "I found you collapsed on our doorstep in the middle of the night. You were in a pretty awful state, so I took you in, cleaned you up, and let you rest in here."

"I see."

"Why were you out there all by yourself?" Layla asked.

Serenity looked down at her hands. "My mother abandoned me. I didn't know where I was, so I tried to find help, but... no matter how hard I searched..."

Layla placed a hand on the small girl's shoulder as silent tears streamed from her dark-blue-eyes. "You've found help now," she stated kindly. "I already talked to my husband, and we would like to offer for you to stay here as long as you like."

Serenity glanced up at her in shock. "Really? I don't want to intrude..."

"Don't worry about it, dear--the more the merrier." She looked over at Lucy. "My daughter could also use a friend. We're quite secluded where we live."

The small blonde beamed widely. "Yeah! We're going to be best-friends! By the way, can you use magic, Serenity? I can! I'm a Celestial Spirit mage like my mom!"

Tucking a strand of her brown hair behind her ear, Serenity smiled. "I can, actually. I'm a Water Dragon Slayer."

~***~

Year: X784

"Are our sex appeals really only worth 2,000 Jewels?" Lucy huffed angrily. Looking over at Serenity, she glanced over the girl's outfit: a burgundy lace-bralette, white harem-pants, and a pair of cream-colored Turkish slippers. It definitely wasn't a sexy outfit, but it did show the lines of her toned abdomen. That should have at least gotten a little more money taken off the price of the Nikora key, Lucy thought. "When we finally join a guild and get some money, we're going shopping and I'm buying you some skirts."

Serenity blinked, a frown playing lightly on her pink lips. "Is there something wrong with the way I dress?"

Laughing nervously, Lucy waved off the question. "Of course not! But if you want to use your looks to your advantage, then you're gonna have to start showing off your legs more, Sere! You can't hide away such a useful weapon beneath those pants you're always wearing."