Laxus

Tides of Virtue – Chapter 20 (Fairy Tail Fan-Fiction)

Lying on her back on one of the wooden tables scattered amongst the chaos of the guild, Serenity stared up at the ceiling, her eyes glazed over as she intently listened to the conversations of the wizards bustling around her, hoping to distract herself from the insanity that her life had been thrown into after having those dreams a few nights before. For many hours, she'd pondered whether or not to tell her friends about her past and the 'destiny' she was supposed to fulfill, and she'd eventually decided that they had a right to know, and done her best to explain the insane situation to them. Much to her surprise, they'd taken it quite well, simply telling her that she had nothing to worry about, because Zeref had been sealed away many centuries ago. However, Serenity was still anxious, and even though they tried their best to remain placid around her, she could tell her friends were worried for her too.

Sighing, the Water Dragon Slayer—if she could even be considered that anymore—sat up and dangled her legs over the side of the table, before hopping down and maneuvering her way through the large crowd toward the back of the great stage that was on the far side of the guild; the entire time doing her best to avoid the excited waving of everyone's arms as to not get hit in the face.

It was the day of the "Miss Fairy Tail" Contest, and all of the men, in Serenity's opinion, were far too eager to see how the girls would present themselves. She'd flat out refused when Lucy had suggested they both be in it, because she hated beauty contests and the very idea of getting up in front of the guild again made her feel sick, but when she'd become aware of the 500,000 Jewel reward, she'd agreed, though she'd still been rather reluctant.

Arriving at the dressing room, Serenity meekly waved at Mirajane and the other contestants, before rushing over to Lucy, who was dressed in a skimpy looking cheerleading outfit, standing in front of one of the full-length mirrors as she glanced over herself, her eyes gleaming with satisfaction.

"Lucy!" she cried, shaking from head to toe in fear as she stopped in front of her sister. "I can't do this!"

Turning around, Lucy's eyes widened. "Why aren't you dressed yet?! You go on after me!" Ignoring Serenity's previous statement, the Celestial Mage grabbed her sister's hand and dragged her where no one could see her, before handing her a red, strapless, string bikini and her knee-high black leather boots. "Change! Now! We need that money!"

Eyes pleading with Lucy, Serenity pouted her lower lip. "I'm nervous, and this swim suit makes me look like a prostitute."

Giggling, Lucy sent her a wink. "Exactly!" she cried, amusement lighting up her features. "Now, get dressed! I'm on!" With that said, Lucy sprinted toward the large crimson curtains that separated them from the screaming crowd, and burst onto the stage, disappearing from Serenity's vision as the large pieces of fabric closed behind her.

Sighing, the golden-haired girl reluctantly took her clothes off, before slipping on the bikini and stepping into her boots. Glancing at her reflection in the mirror, her face contorted with disgust. Everything about the combination screamed, 'I'm easy! Come and get some!' and just looking at herself in it made her skin crawl. Was she really going to let the entire guild see her wearing something like that?

Grabbing a pair of black sunglasses off one of the dressing tables, she put them on, then looked back at the mirror. They made it worse, but before she could debate whether or not to keep them, she heard her name being announced and a loud voice asking her to come forward. Eyes widening, Serenity slowly walked toward the heavy pieces of fabric separating her from the stage, and swiftly summoned her wings, wanting nothing more than to disappear as she pulled back the curtain and made her way to the middle of the platform.