On the Road Again

"I did it! I just killed her!" I said as I watched the monster's form crumble to dust.
"It's a little scary to see you so exited about killing something Em."
"Sorry dad!"
"As long as you only kill monsters honey."
"Okay. I guess so." We shared a laugh but Marco didn't join in.
"Hey are you okay?" I asked.
"Ya, I'm fine.
"You don't sound fine."
"I'm just mad at myself because my pan flute did nothing and you had to take care of the monster all by yourself. I failed as your protector. I'm completely useless." He said dejectedly.
"Hey! Don't feel bad! I'm still alive and she's not. I'd call that pretty successful."
"Still. I should have at least helped."
"You said only a few substances could kill monsters. I had to do it myself. I have to learn how to fight at some point don't I?
"In the mean time," dad said "can you put out this fire Marco?" Somehow we had completely forgot about the fire while I was trying to comfort him.
"Oh shoot! Sure!" Marco played a short song, maybe Singing in the Rain, and it started to rain right above the fire to put it out before we burned all of Michigan.
"There you go!" said Marco smiling.
"See, you're not useless at all!"
"True. You need me to put out all the fires or minor natural disasters you may cause!" We all laughed again, and this time Marco joined in.
"We should probably get back on the road if we're going to make it to camp by tomorrow."
"How many more monsters do you think we'll have to kill to get there?" I asked. Marco thought for a few seconds then replied with a simple "a lot."
"More practice!" I replied. "Just what I need."
"So Marco, what are the substances that can kill monsters? Obviously steel isn't one of them" asked my dad.
"No substance known to or made by man can kill monsters. You need Celestial Bronze, usually used by Greeks like me and your daughter, Imperial Gold, which is usually used by Romans, Stygian Iron, which can only be used by children of Hades, Drakon Bone, which I've only heard of being used once, and Greek Fire, which burns anything and everything.
     "If it burns everything, then how do you control it, much less use it?" I asked.
     "You don't control it. It spreads quicker and burns fiercer than regular fire, so it's mainly used if you want to completely destroy something. It can be put out though. Otherwise the world would be a charred crisp right now. As you can probably tell, it's not used often.
     "That would be bad." I replied.
     "No really?" Marco said sarcastically. I didn't realize mythical beings could be sarcastic. "We should get back in the car. It's not safe to stay one place too long."
     Little did I know that no matter how much we moved around, it couldn't protect us from what was about to come.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm so so so sorry that I haven't updated in forever! I've been busy with exams and getting end of the year stuff organized and birthday parties, etc. I'll try to update more often now that I'm off school, but I'm going to a few camps/retreats that don't allow phones so no promises. As always, comment, vote, etc.
-R