Part 3

Dylan

            I looked at her, with her hair spilled out on the pillows and the warmth of her body warming mine. And I thought, god-dang, if this ain't a heck of a way to be in bed with a pretty woman. The two of you arguing about murder, and threatening each other, when you're supposed to be in love and you could be doing something pretty nice. And then I thought, well, maybe it ain't so strange after all. Maybe it's like this with most people, everyone doing pretty much the same thing except in a different way. And all the time they're holding heaven in their hands.

Dylan turned the page, bringing the coffee cup to his lips before realizing that it was empty.

He set the cup down and automatically it got refilled.

Dylan looked up.

A soft smile grazed her face as she tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

"I ain't saying you're a liar, because that wouldn't be polite. But I'll tell you this, ma'am. If I loved liars, I'd hug you to death." She said, rubbing her hands over the apron.

Dylan raised his eyebrows, impressed.

"I had been chasing females all my life, not paying no mind to the fact that whatever's got tail at one end has teeth at the other, and now I was getting chomped." He quoted back.

"If I wasn't a decent woman I'd heist a leg and pee in your ear until it washed out that stinking pile of crap you call brains." She said, couldn't help herself and chuckled.

Dylan laughed as he asked her to sit opposite to him.

She kept the coffee jar on the table, taking a seat.

Her eyes were green, rare seen on a brunette.

"There are things that have to be forgotten if you want to go on living." She said.

Dylan's eyebrows frowned.

"That's not from Pop.1280."

She feigned surprise. "I thought we were quoting Jim Thompson."

"Also known as one of the most underrated authors of 19th century."

"Amen to that. The Killer Inside Me was magnificent! I couldn't believe Joyce was in-"

He covered his ears, singing "La La La la!"

She laughed, looking all bit of the radiant beauty that she is.

"No spoilers please! I haven't read it yet."

"And you call yourself a literature fan?!" She gasped in disappointment.

"I haven't...in front do you, ever." He said, looking at her.

She blushed, letting her hair come in front of her.

Dylan smiled subconsciously.

"I might have seen you, occasionally, seen you read books here, addicted to caramel Irish coffee and developed a small crush." She admitted, blushing furiously.

Dylan again raised his eyebrows, impressed.

She seemed really cute and innocent but she definitely wasn't shy.

He stood up, collecting his stuff. Her face fell, but she quickly gathered a composed expression.

"What's your name?" He asked.

"Keira." She said.

"Well Keira, I'm really hungry right now. You know any good places to eat around here?" He asked, acting nonchalantly.

"Wh-what?" She asked, dumbfounded.

"I'm asking you to dinner Keira, that is, if you are interested." He said, flashing that charming smile of his.

____________________

"Oh, I cannot believe this. That was a really lame joke." Keira said, laughing anyway.

"How is it lame? He said 'I'm going to chop off the bottom of one of your trouser legs and put it in a library. ' I thought 'That's a turn-up for the books'." He repeated the joke. "C'mon! It's funny."

She shook her head, still laughing, look as cute as earthly possible.

"Shall we begin?" She asked, gesturing at the food on the table.

"Sure." He said, looking at the delicious yet very spicy Indian food.

It took Dylan two whole seconds to came back to Earth when Keira suggested Masala Times.

She very much reminded him of his ex girlfriend, whom he tried really hard not to think of.

His ex girlfriend was still a sore spot for him. It took him three weeks to actually talk to people again.

She had broken him, bended his will and broken his spirit.

That breakup was really tough to get over and he's not even going to think about his broken heart right now.

He was holding himself together with rubber and glue, barely.

Oscar Wilde said heart was meant to be broken.

Well, fuck him, Dylan thought.

Keira's moans brought Dylan out of his trance.

"Fuck! This is really spicy." She said, gulping an entire glass of cold water.

Dylan laughed.

"It's Indian food. It's bound to be spicy." He said, popping in another kabab.

"How are you eating this without breaking a sweat?" She asked accusingly.

Dylan placed his fork down.

"Uh, my ex girlfriend used to love Indian food. She made me eat it at least once a week." He admitted, looking at the perfectly cooked kabab.

She tilted her head in concern.

"Well, I've been there. My ex loved thai food. Had it all the time." She rolled her eyes as if saying 'Can you believe that?'

Dylan laughed, extremely glad that she didn't allow the situation to be awkward.

"So for the next date, I don't take you to a Thai restaurant." He said, finishing the kebabs on his plate.

"There's going to be a next date?" Keira asked with joy evident in her voice.

One thing Dylan learnt about Keira is that she wore her heart on her sleeve and proudly so.

This was one quality Dylan now admired a lot. He was tired of guessing and analysing the situation and feelings. He wasn't ready to do it again any time soon.

"I would love to take you out again." He said, looking into her eyes.

"Then yes, no Thai food. Maybe Japanese." She shrugged, trying to act nonchalant.

But nothing could hide the fact that both of them were having a great time, better than either one of them had in a long time.

_______________________________________