Part 4

Emily

            "Mr. Mackenzie, I'm so grateful to be your intern associate. I-" Emily began but was soon shushed.

"Na-uh. Nothing of that. I'm the least interested how I am changing your life. What matters is how you change mine. And it better be for the better." He said, not even looking at her.

Emily cocked an eyebrow.

It was seven o'clock in the morning and Emily had reached fifteen minutes early. She had waited for Elliot Mackenzie, the famous hot-shot corporate lawyer to come. Which he did, at nine o'clock. Until then, she saw Kristen file and highlight the briefs.

She envied how Kristen had right away set to work. 

Perks of having her uncle as the senior partner.

Since she had the time, Emily decided to ask around about Elliot Mackenzie. The reviews weren't that uplifting. Apparently, he was Nazi.

Emily had seen Suits and Elliot Mackenzie was sounding very similar to Harvey Specter but now that she has met him in person, she'd trade him for Harvey Specter any day.

It seemed as if Elliot Mackenzie didn't deem her worthy enough to be given a second of his very busy day.

"Uh, sure. What do you want me to do?" She asked and Elliot Mackenzie handed her a file. He unbuttoned his suit jacket as he sat down on his chair.

"File a patent." He said, not even looking at her.

"That's it? I could do more." She began to tell him about what all she could do. After all, she helped out her Taxation of Business professor of law all the time.

"I'm not interested in what you can do. Do what I asked you to. Is that alright with you?" He asked.

It was clearly a rhetorical question. He wasn't expecting an answer to it.

"Yes sir." Emily said, pursuing her lips and leaving his office.

She went and sat down, thinking over her situation. She was wondering if she made a mistake choosing Elliot Mackenzie. She had done her homework.

All the big law firms have various partners and practice area. You need to research before hand which partner is incharge of which team and which team is known to give better work, and feedback.

Elliot Mackenzie had the best wins but worse feedback.

In her previous internship, she
saw various interns complaining within themselves about how they have been assigned the wrong team or how frustrating it is to work for a certain partner, a co-intern actually on her very first day made it absolutely clear to the HR that she is just going to work for the IPR team. Emily was smart enough to know that she was definitely not going to complain.

She was given a task and she would deliver.

"No, absolutely not. I'm sorry but I've been on hold for the past-" Emily was shouting and then closed her eyes and tapped her feet, dealing with her anger.

Happy thoughts

The Patent office was keeping her on hold since the past hour. She had filled out the form and submitted it. But the confirmation was taking too long.

"It's done, I assume?" Elliot Mackenzie stood at the door of his office, right opposite Emily's cubicle.

"I'm still waiting for the confirmation." She replied.

He tssed. "Too slow. I'm going to ask someone else to sort out my calendar then." He turned around and walked towards his desk.

She saw him pick up his phone, mutter a few incorrigible words and keep it down. From the opposite side, she saw Oliver get up.

In the past four hours of her arrival yet, Emily learnt that there were four interns under Elliot Mackenzie. One was from Stanford and two were from Columbia. Oliver belonged to Stanford.

He gave her a smirk while entering the office and Emily rolled her eyes.

Sure. Be proud of sorting out the dates like a chump.

"Yes, how may I help you?" A voice spoke from the other end of the line.

"Ma'am, like I've been repeatedly saying since past an hour, I'm waiting for a confirmation about the Patent I registered for earlier."

"Tell me the Patent number." She said.

Emily read out the Patent number and thanked the lady and her stars that the Patent got filed.

She knocked on his office doors.

"The Patent has been filed." She said.

"It's about time. Now you're lucky, you are just in time to get me my coffee." He glanced at her, seeing she hasn't moved.

"Wasn't I heard?" He asked, rhetorically.

Emily took a deep breath and stepped inside, closing the door behind her.

"Do we have a problem?" He asked, tapping his pen against the papers he was looking over.

"I'm not getting your coffee. I'm doing all the things you ask me to do, no matter how simple and insignificant, but I do not get coffee. It's demeaning and not something a law student does." She said, calmly.

He raised his eyebrows, kept the papers in his hands aside and brought his hands together, fingers just touching each other.

"Hm, too demeaning for you, is it? I'll tell you what a law student does. Study for thousand of hours, waste hundreds of thousands of dollars and graduate as a mediocre member of the bar. They try to be interns for the ones that have made it in this world. They come, hoping and wishing that they get the chance to become my interns. Fetching my coffee brings them joy because they feel grateful that I felt they were worthy of doing this. So, this might be demeaning for you, intern, but this is what you signed up to do here. Capiche?" He said, in a stone cold voice.

He scared Emily. His demeanor was frightening.

"I'm still not getting you coffee."

Twenty minutes later, she was standing in the elevator, holding his coffee and bagel.
______________________________________