15: What is happening?

Klaus
Inside the house, we went upstairs to change and then we came downstairs, to see Mr. Poe talking on the phone to get the police. As we walked downstairs, we just stood there.

When Mr. Poe hung up, he looked at Stephano. "The police said that they will take time getting here." He said as he walked out of the phone.

After like 10 seconds, the doorbell rang. That was fast. Mr. Poe opened the door to see a 'nurse' at the door. We knew it was one of Count Olaf's accomplices.

"How may I help you miss- sir.." Mr. Poe said swallowing hard and a little nervous. "Im Nurse Lucafont." the accomplice said. "That was quick. I thought you were gonna take time."

The accomplice looked at Stephano rather nervous. "I believe speed is of the ecsence in an emergency." 'she' said. We just stood there, looking.

As the nurse came in, we walked closer and I cleared my throat. "Excuse me, but why are you wearing that mask over your face?" I asked, mostly doing it on purpose.

"I hear they are reptiles. They might be contagious." The nurse had said. I raised one eyebrow. "Reptiles are not contagious." I said. Stephano and his accomplice exchanged looks. "Why don't you and Nurse Lucafont go examine the body, while I stay here with the kids?" Stephano said, looking at Mr. Poe.

"How about if Stephano and Nurse Lucafont examine the body so Klaus, Sunny, (Y/N), Mr. Poe and I can stay here?" Violet suggested. I could see Stephano giving her a dirty look. "Sounds great." Mr. Poe said.

Stephano rolled his eyes. "Fine. Right this way, Nurse." He said as they both walked in. As they closed the door, Mr. Poe looked at us. "Im sorry, children. Dr. Montgomery actually looked like an appropriate guardian for you." He said.

I sighed and looked at him. "He was much, much more than appropriate." I said. He gave a sympathetic smile and we couldn't stop thinking about Dr. Montgomery.

After a while, we heard a shriek from inside the reptile room. We quickly went inside. "What happened?" Mr. Poe asked, a little startled. "Nurse Lucafont was startled by a lizard." Stephano said.

"It is a reptile room." I said. "Did you figure out what happened with the Autopsy?" Mr. Poe asked. "Yes, it turns out he was bitten by a snake, judging by the two punctures in his cheeks." Nurse Lucafont said.

Mr. Poe looked shocked. "Oh, goodness. Which one?" He asked. "The Incredibly... Deadly... Viper.." Stephano said slowly. (Y/N) and I exchanged looks. "That can't be. The Incredibly Deadly Viper is one of the kindest snakes in the animal kingdom." Violet said.

Mr. Poe looked at her. "But its called the 'Incredibly Deadly Viper'." He said. I looked at him. "Its a misnomer. He wanted to scare his folks at the herpilogical society." I said. "Well, how will you know if you don't even know where it is." Stephano said.

"Of course we know. Its over-" Violet said as we all turned to see that it was not there, cage open. "I see now, probably Dr. Montgomery left the cage open and he killed him." Mr. Poe said.

"But Monty is- was one of the world's best herpitologists. He would know better to not let a snake bite him." I said. "Well, all the clues point out to that." Nurse Lucafont said.

I thought of a plan to show Mr. Poe that Nurse Lucafont was not who she claimed to be. "Im sorry, what did you say your name was again?" I asked Nurse Lucafont. "Im Nurse Lucafont." She said. I continued to smile.

"Sorry, what was that?" I asked again. She repeated what she said before. "Sorry, I can't hear you, over your mask." I said. He took off his mask. "I said im Nurse Lucafont." He had said it with his normal voice, showing that I was right.

I looked back at Mr. Poe. "See, I told you he was one of Count Olaf's accomplice." I said. He looked at Violet. "You mean the hook- handed man that worked for my secretary and broke the typewriter?" Mr. Poe asked. I looked at him. "No." I said.

Mr. Poe sighed. "Well, I don't know who else it could be." He said. The screeching iguana clock sounded. "It stroke again!" Mr. Poe said as we all ran to the entrance. "Its the screeching iguana clock." Violet said. I sighed. "It stroke again." I said.

Mr. Poe looked at Stephano. "Well, I guess I need to go now." He said as Stephano stopped him. "No. Nurse informed me that no one can leave the house." Stephano said. "You mean?" Mr. Poe asked.

"Yes. We are in Quarentine!" He said. We waited for a long time. He was just standing there. Looked like he was waiting for something, as he was repeating the words. "Well.." Mr. Poe was saying.

After a couple of seconds, the doorbell rang again. All of Count Olaf's accomplices were entering, dressed as police officers. The hook handed man was giving orders to everyone.

We just looked at Mr. Poe. "Those are all of Count Olaf's accomplices. Thats the hook handed man." I said. "And those two women are from the play." (Y/N) said. "But, this guy is opening a can of peaches with hands, not hooks." Mr. Poe said as he looked at the man, who was getting Peaches.

We all looked at him. "That's Uncle Monty's food. Stop eating his food!" I blurted out. "I just grabbed some peaches." He said. Mr. Poe walked toward him. "Im sorry. They just lost their uncle today and they are really sad." Mr. Poe said and then turned to us.

"Why don't you guys wait upstairs so the adults take care of this?" Mr. Poe asked us. We stared at him. "But Mr. Poe-" I started to say. "Just wait upstairs, children." He repeated. "Come on. The adults won't take care of this, but we will." Violet said as she started walking.

We followed her up the stairs as they were taking Uncle Monty's body out. We looked and had a sad expression on our face and continued up to our room.

Once in there, we shut the door. "I can't believe Mr. Poe does not believe us." I said. "We have to find a way so Stephano doesn't end up hurting anyone else." Violet said. "Including us.." (Y/N) said looking at the ground.

I sighed. "Maybe we will find a way. We wouldn't have to go to Perú." I said. Violet looked at the ground then back at me. "Do you think you can find a way back into the reptile room?" She asked. I looked around and then at the window.

"I think I might have a way.." I responded, walking toward the window.