11: avoidance

SCENE ELEVEN
AVOIDANCE

To add to Arlo's ever growing list of teenage difficulties, it had been announced that on Christmas Day, Hogwarts was hosting the Yule Ball. Arlo assumed that he and Jem would band together and go as friends, but he got the shock of his life when Jem revealed that Lee had asked her to go with him.

"But who am I supposed to go with?" Arlo hissed over breakfast.

"That's not my problem," Jem replied, rather haughtily. She was probably offended that Arlo had been annoyed, rather than happy for her. "Ask some Beauxbatons boy, you're exotic-looking enough for them."

Not sure whether being called "exotic-looking" was a compliment or an insult (he suspected that it was the latter), Arlo spluttered indignantly.

"Fine," he exclaimed, far too dramatically. "Fine! You and Lee are a perfect match anyway, what with your... Your... Heteroness and all! Enjoy your freaking stereotypical hetero ball, and I'll just be in bed, alone, outcast like the true gay I am!"

He stood abruptly, and stormed off to Transfiguration early.

Truth to be told, he was more hurt than angry- if Jem was going with Lee to the Yule Ball, then she would most likely be surrounded by the redheaded Weasley twins, half of which Arlo was set on avoiding for the rest of his life.

Arlo sat next to short Hufflepuff Maria Stevens, who had long, tightly curled black hair, and friendly dark eyes. He got on well with her and they were good friends, but even he wasn't sure what possessed him to- at the sight of Fred entering the classroom- turn and suddenly ask Maria (in a voice just slightly loud enough for Fred to hear) to go to the Yule Ball with him. Maria looked momentarily confused, but to Arlo's relief, a small smile curved onto her face as she accepted.

The task of the lesson was to transfigure an owl into a quill, something simple enough that Arlo managed to do it on his third try.

"Very well done Mr Lovegood. Five points to Ravenclaw." Professor McGonagall congratulated. "If you could assist Mr Weasley please."

Arlo swallowed, but obeyed silent as he swapped seats with a tall, blonde Gryffindor.

"Fred, Fred." Arlo exclaimed, catching Fred's hand in his own in an effort to stop the movements. "You'll take someone's eye out."

Fred swallowed. "Sorry."

"Its fine."

Arlo noticed that Fred was looking at the long, jagged scar on the top of Arlo's hand. He hastily let go of Fred's wrist, pulling down his sleeve arms.

"Arlo-"

"Hold your wand -"

"-please-"

" - like this -"

"- listen to me!"

Swiftly, Arlo checked that McGonagall was occupied, and then gripped Fred's wand hand, and cut it through the air sharply. The owl flashed orange and vanished, leaving a simple white quill in it's place.

"There. You did it." Said Arlo coldly, attempting to hide how much his hands were shaking. The bell rung right on cue, and Arlo was the first one out, dashing to hide in a bathroom until he stopped freaking out.