epilogue

EPILOGUE

1998

"There was this one moment, that I really felt sure about how much I truly loved Arlo Lovegood. It was at Hogwarts, our seventh year - George and I had just pulled off one of many legendary pranks, I can't remember which one now. The memory isn't actually clear, but I can remember that smile he had, so bright and happy, despite everything, and I think I felt my blood turn to liquid gold. He told me, 'you're fantastic, Weasley.' He said I was fantastic a lot- did wonders for my ego."

Laughter. A smile slipped onto Fred's face, small, but one of the ones Arlo adored.

"There was another time, actually. Rather recently. Arlo wanted to go out. First time in a while, as you know. We went out, and found this... Uh, this field, and it was just filled with flowers. He let out this loud laugh and pulled me along to run all through it. Obviously, we both ran out of breath easily, and collapsed among all these flowers. And in that moment, I knew that I could spend all my days with him, and I'd be happy. Truly happy. And I don't know how it came out, but suddenly, I was asking him to marry me, and he was saying yes and we were just kissing in that field of flowers and I-"

Fred stopped. The room was still.

"I-"

His voice wavered.

"He was made of starlight." He whispered, almost to himself. His eyes were cloudy, not focused on anything. "And I love him so, so much. And I'm going to kill that son of a bitch that let him die, afraid, alone and in the fucking dark."

And Fred starting crying again. George swiftly ran up to the podium, catching a hold of his brother and pulling him down and out of the ceremony.

The ceremony was small, on a beach like Arlo would've wanted. He was buried in the wizard graveyard by both the Lovegood and Weasley residences.

Three weeks later, Fred did kill that son of a bitch. The Battle of Hogwarts was wild and horrific, and the adrenaline Fred ran on was revenge fueled and justice driven. He never took the silver band of jewellery off his ring finger, even in death. He was buried next to Arlo, who also bore a band of the same style, but in gold.

Fred was gold, and Arlo was silver. Together they glowed.

If you believe in an afterlife, in Heaven, or anything of that nature, then they received each other in death. Fred was alone and afraid, until he saw Arlo, waiting for him with a smile and open arms. They never left eachother again. In years that would pass, they would greet family members joining them, and their hearts would would heal.

If you believe in reincarnation, then they would have found each other again. In different lives, in different minds, their souls were too intertwined to separate. I have half a mind that they have been together before, and are set to repeat themselves, over and over again.

Whether you believe in life after death or not, you can be sure of this. Arlo and Fred loved each other through life, and through death.