Welcome to Dragon 'Training'

Today is the first day of Dragon Training. By which I mean absolute hell. Stuck with the gang most of the day and having to hurt dragons while I get yelled at by everyone. Oh joy.

"Welcome to Dragon Training!"

I supress a groan as Gobber spreads his arms out as if he's showing us the greatest gift of our lives (which to the other teens it probably is). As soon as he says that, the gang's voices drift to my ears as they strut into the arena, all the while looking around at the burnt stone walls in awe.

 I hear Asher whisper 'No turning back.' and let me confirm that there definitely is an option to turn back. Literally right behind him.

"I'm hoping for some serious burns!" There's Tuffnut, I think he has a slight obsession with fire but that might just be normal for Vikings. Who am I to know?

"I'm hoping for some mauling, like on my shoulder or lower back."

"Yeah, it's only fun if you get a scar out of it."

Am I the only one how things how they're speaking is messed up? How can they talk so casually about pain and scarring?

"Yeah no kidding right? Pain. Love it." I add, trying to hold the axe in a way that makes it look like I'm struggling. Maybe they'll see that what they're saying isn't even normal for Vikings? Judging by their faces, they didn't even realise I was here and aren't very happy to find I am.

"Oh great. Who let her in?" Tuffnut practically spits the word 'her' out as I try to disappear into my cloak; turning away and pretty much trying to erase my existence. Just goes to show how much everyone here hates me.

"Alright then!" Gobber walks between us, clapping his hands together in excitement. "Let's get started! The recruit who does best will win the honour of killing his first dragon in front of the entire village."

The others let out gasps of amazement, each of them (excluding Fishlegs) boasting about how they're going to be the one to kill the Nightmare. Although in my opinion, the only one that stands any chance is Asher. Snotlout is too cowardly so would run off or let his ego get in the way. The twins, they'd argue the entire time and probably try to kill each other more than the actual dragons, and Fishlegs is both too scared and too kind to kill anything.

Of course Snotlout sees this as the perfect time to have a go at me. As if there's ever a bad time for him. "Halla already killed a Night Fury, so, does that disqualify her or...?" The group laughs at that, even Asher smirks (which is weird as he normally shows no emotion).

"Yeah. Can I transfer to the class with the cool Vikings?" says Tuff as another round of laughs erupts from their mouths. I don't say anything. I'm so pathetic, but I know that if I say anything the outcome won't be very good for me.

Gobber walks between the group and me, trying to offer words of comfort as he slings his arm around my shoulder. "Don't worry. You're small and weak. That'll make you less of a target! They'll see you as sick or insane and go after the more Viking-like teens instead." Each word he says is like a blow to my stomach. Yes. Gobber is truly terrible at pep talks, but I plaster a smile on my face and grin at him. He chuckles before giving me a light shove into Fishlegs so we're all standing in a straight line in front of the cages' doors. Of course this is a Viking shove, so I practically flew into Fishlegs as he flinched away from me.

"Alright everyone! Behind these doors are just a few of the many species you'll learn to fight!" Gobber yells, well, to me he's yelling, but to everyone else he's just speaking normally.

"The Deadly Nadder!" I flinch as the creature's voice reaches me, but instead of fury in her voice, there's a plead. A cry for help. 'Please.' Just like the Night Fury. Just like me.