The Nadder Fight

"Er... Gobber, not to be a bother, like only if you can but - you know - I just happened to notice the book had nothing on Night Furies. Do you know anything? Like - not like that! But about Night Furies. Is there another book? Or a sequel? Maybe a little 'Night Fury pamphlet'?"

A sharp blast comes from the Nadder's mouth, blasting off the head of my axe as I yelp in surprise, wincing as I jolt my back and my still healing wounds from yesterday.

"Focus Halla! You're not even trying!" Gobber yells at me from the safety of outside the arena, dismissing what I said and ignoring it. Pulling myself together, I lift my tail off the ground and sprint away into the maze made of wood that we had constructed earlier; ignoring the Nadder's honeyed voice giving apologies that aren't really apologetic at all. 

I roll my eyes this time at the sound in my head, after 15 years of them, I decided that I need to stop fearing them: especially since some of them could be better company them humans. I wouldn't say I liked them - no - the irregular buzzing and headaches they bought still irked me to no end, but I got along with them, which was an improvement. I had also found that this particular Nadder was exceedingly sarcastic - which she made clear when "speaking" to the Vikings and me.

I jerk myself out of the world in my head. Come one Halla, try, try harder.

"Today is all about ATTACK! Nadders are quick and light on their feet! Your job is to be quicker and lighter!" Gobber 'coaches' us from the side, Thor, Vikings are loud. I hear the Nadder boasting about how fast she is and thanking "the Big Fat Viking" for his praise, that is until she hears that Gobber thinks we could be faster (to which she reacts by going after Fishlegs and shooting spines at him).

"AAAAAH! I'm really beginning to question your teaching methods!" Fishlegs screams, his voice breathy and coated in fear as he sprints (to the best of his ability) away into the maze.

I glance up to see Gobber with a monotone look to his face, Is he actually bored? Well, this is why Vikings are terrible teachers. "Just look for its blind spot. Every dragon has one. Find it, hide in it, and strike!"

Off to the right of me I catch Ruffnut and Tuffnut arguing, much to the Nadder's amusement, perhaps they don't understand that dragons can hear? It makes me feel even more pathetic: the fact that I let these two mutton heads literally kick me around.

I hear they screams in pain as the Nadder gets bored of watching them argue, and I supress a smirk.

"Blind spot, yes. Deaf spot? Not so much." Gobber chuckles, no longer with a monotone look on, but instead betraying slight amusement. I race up to him with the coast seemingly clear; I've got to try again - I need to find out about Night Furies.

"Hey Gobber, so how would one sneak up on a Night Fury?" His amused look evaporates at my words and is replaced with distaste and annoyance as he rubs his forehead: so nothing I'm not used to.

"No one's ever met one and lived to tell the tale. NOW GET IN THERE!" I flinch at his yell, I've been yelled at by everyone - everyone - but never, not even once, by Gobber. Get over it Halla I tell myself. You're used to this.

"Halla! Get down!" Asher shout-whispers from my right, gesturing down with his axe from where him and Snotlout are crouched. I rush down to join them as they do a forward roll across from where the Nadder is. Narrowing my eyes, I try to copy them but my wings pull me back and onto my healing back: forcing me to cry out in pain.

The Nadder immediately charges towards me, squeezing my eyes shut and bearing the pain, I race away - accidently drawing the dragon towards Asher and Snotlout.