[2] Sweet Stop

"Screw the rain," Tanaka growled. Lightning suddenly cracked above us, as if responding back to him, and Nishinoya jumped into his arms with a scream. After practice, we were all forced to stop and wait at the gym doors for the storm to settle down since Suga wasn't letting anyone pass on account of how cold it was and all we could do was stare up at the sky bitterly.

They all wanted to go home and rest since training camp started first thing tomorrow morning. I wanted to go home and rest since I knew tomorrow, they would all be uncontrollable.

"How much more of my time is this going to waste?" Tsukishima asked from his isolated corner, tugging his headphones off and turning the volume down. Flinching at the second clap of thunder, Asahi quickly tugged out his phone.

"It should be dying down soon," he forecasted, eyeing the clouds skeptically, "but it doesn't seem like it."

Suga sighed and shook his head, hand on his hip in disappointment. "You know, this is how we all can get sick."

Daichi gave a silent nod as everyone else sent a pleading looking his way, hoping to be able to convince Suga otherwise but the co-captain wasn't having it. I crossed my arms and checked my phone with the intent of calling a cab but quickly shut it back up at the thought of having to ask for
one without stuttering; I was too tired to go through that.

"We have training camp tomorrow," Hinata whined, stomping his feet. Kageyama adjusted the strap from his backpack behind me and rested his chin on top of my head, eyes half-lidded and nose still slightly swollen, unconcerned.

"Do you want to be on the bench sneezing when we're playing against Nekoma?" Kageyama mumbled out. He had a point there and Hinata thankfully saw it too, zipping his mouth shut to contain any more complaints. Nishinoya, however, still had something to say, despite being now in Asahi's arms.

"They opened up a new dorayaki shop a few blocks away from the school, y'know," he announced with a sly grin. Thunder clapped and he again flinched. Tsukishima snickered as he leaned against the wall behind us and we all turned to face him, waiting for whatever smart remark he'd thought of.

"You'd think with that 'rolling thunder' you're always using, you'd be less scared of thunderstorms," he snickered. Nishinoya bared his teeth and Tanaka puffed his chest out to defend our libero but Yamaguchi quickly intervened with a bright smile and optimistic suggestion that even caught Kageyama's attention.

"Why don't we rush over to the dorayaki shop?" he offered, to which everyone, including myself and Shimizu, raised an eyebrow at, "The rain's only drizzling now and we can wait inside while we're eating."

Personally, anything with anko sounded delicious at the moment, but maybe it was because the rain had closed us all into one place that I was willing to run through it and get wet just to buy a small sweet. Gently, I wiggled myself out from underneath Kageyama's weight and peeked my head out from underneath the sill with an eye shut in case I was met with heavy raindrops. Hinata sucked in his breath and I stayed still for a moment, feeling the light spray lightly coat my hair.

I smiled.

"It's probably the lightest it's going to be," I told them, gently popping up the collar to my volleyball club track-jacket, "I'll buy, if you guys want."

That was all it took. Instantly, Nishinoya and Tanaka were climbing over each other and sprinting towards the school gates, shouting and biting at whatever blocked their way without a hint of repression. Even Hinata and Kageyama left me in the dust, though they were wrestling on the cement floor for a bit before they actually started making any distance. I watched in astonishment and stood frozen in place.