Chapter Nine

"Hey-"

"Zaira-chan~"

I ducked my head, ignoring the two voices calling for my attention. Instead I kept my scarlet stained face pointed towards my book, carefully rereading the last few lines- ones that I'd read quite a few times already. Not that it made much of a difference, the book was one of my favorites that I'd brought with me from home when I moved. Ignoring the fact that I was ignoring them, the twins took up station on opposite sides of my desk, bracing their hands on the edges.

"What are you doing after class?" one questioned.

I hesitated, lifting my eyes for just a moment. If that was all they wanted...

"O-oke club," I mumbled.

They simultaneously raised their eyebrows. Kaoru was the first to say something.

"Oh, yeah, you're always carrying around a music case, aren't you?" he commented.

I hesitated, more surprised that he'd even noticed. A second later I simply nodded.

"A... a violin."

"Are you any good?" Hikaru asked, curiosity shining in his eyes.

Once again, I hesitated, turning my eyes back towards my book so that I wouldn't have to see their expressions.

"I-I... I... um... I-I,"

I chanced a glance up at them, deciding that it would be better to have an indication of what they were thinking, neves over the question or not. My eyes caught them just in time to see the twins look at each other with matching smirks.

"King said to invite you to lunch again," Hikaru said suddenly.

"And that you should join us at the host club after school, if you'd be willing," Kaoru added.

"I-I-"

Have the oke club," Hikaru provided.

I simply nodded. At least I didn't have to try and explain. My nerves were getting the better of me. Honestly, it was pathetic that I couldn't even manage to get out one single sentence. The twins didn't seem to mind, though, as they shared that smirk with each other once again.

"Then come to lunch-" Hikaru began.

"And tell him," Kaoru finished.

I flinched, Kyoya's face coming to the front of my mind. Would he get irritated if I showed up for lunch with his friends, again? He gave in about the dance, so maybe...

"Leave her alone and sit down," I heard Haruhi say with a sigh. I turned just in time to see her putting her stuff down at her desk. "Class is about to start."

Instead of sitting down, the twins abandoned me in favor of a more interesting target. They didn't seem to forget their request, however.  By lunch time, I'd decided to escape. However, just as I'd reached down to grab my violin case, a hand enclosed around the handle. Surprised, I froze and looked up.

Of course the culprit was one of two red-heads.

"Lunch, Zaira-chan?" they chorused.

"... m-my v-v-violin?" I managed to get out.

"After lunch," they replied together.

I bit my lip, my eyes glued to the violin case. I couldn't just leave it in their hands. Armed with an excuse, I sighed and gave them a reluctant nod.

"Fine..."

Pleased, the two boys immediately led the way to the door. As I passed by, I saw Haruhi shoot me an apologetic smile as she pulled out her own bento and placed it on her desk.