Chapter Fourteen

Zaira

“Ichiro-kun!”

Ichiro’s head shot up as I called out to him as loudly as I could. To be honest, it’d been long enough since I’d raised my voice like that, that even just that single word at that volume made my voice crack. Luckily, though, he’d heard me despite the fact he was standing by the entrance to the music hall, which was all the way across a crowd of people. The moment his eyes made connection with mine, he started in the direction of Kyoya and I. Surprisingly, however, he paused a second later, having only taken one step. Frozen to the spot, he was simply staring in my direction, red up to his ears.

I heard Kyoya mutter something under his breath next to me, but I didn’t have the chance to ask him what it was, because Ichiro began walking again a moment later and my attention was drawn back to him. His appearance was a bit different from usual. His long brown hair was pulled back very neatly by a back ribbon, and he was dressed in a suit, which he adjusted as he walked. It was a much more composed look when compared to his usual one, although perhaps his usual could be blamed on his sister.

“Zaira-chan,” Ichiro greeted as he drew near.

Kyoya cleared his throat. About to respond to Ichiro, I paused and glanced curiously at Kyoya instead, and was surprised to discover that he looked almost amused. Ichiro seemed to notice him for the first time at that moment and stopped about a foot away.

“Ootori-san…” he said, surprised. “You’re the friend she had plans with?”

“Yes,” Kyoya replied smoothly. “Thank-you for allowing us to accompany you tonight. It was very kind of you to arrange this party.”

Kyoya’s words and tone were friendly enough, but I saw Ichiro stiffen, looking even more surprised than before. He and Kyoya studied each other in silence for a moment, and I was trying to decide whether or not to say something, when Ichiro sighed, then gave that wry smile that he’d given me when he’d invited me.

“Well, let’s head in,” he said, rubbing the back of his neck with one hand. His pony tail fell awkwardly over the back of his hand as he tilted his head back, in what I was beginning to realize was a habitual gesture. “We’ll want to be in our seats when the show starts.”

As he finished speaking he lowered his gaze, shooting one more look at Kyoya before turning a smile to me. Much to my surprise, he then offered an arm, that wry smile on his lips. His face, however, was rapidly turning a bright shade of red.

“If I may,” he mumbled.

Uncertain, I glanced at Kyoya. His expression, however, revealed nothing, and his steely eyes were simply looking back at me. Hesitating, I turned my gaze back to Ichiro’s arm, and took a deep breath before lacing my arm with his. It was only good manners to allow the host of our little party to escort me to our seats if he wished. Dispite this thought of mine, however, I couldn’t help the heat that flooded to my cheeks, or the stiffness that invaded my limbs.

Ichiro, as red as I must have been, started towards the entrance of the music hall.

“If you have any questions about the performance,” he said as the door was opened for us. “Feel free to ask. I made sure to learn everything I could about the show beforehand.”

That normal, friendly smile was back on his face, in place of the wry one I’d been seeing pretty often recently. The return of that smile was enough to help me relax. Ichiro was my only friend outside of Kyoya’s circle, and was really nice to be out for an evening with him, despite the arm linking.