Chapter Twenty-One

A/N: Can I say I squeeled while writing this? Cause I really did. Hope you enjoy! Oh, and the girl to the side is a pretty good image of what Miwa looks like, if her hair was balled up inside that cap and you imagine a few faint freckles on her face and shoulders.

Zaira

When I first woke up I found it hard to comprehend what I was seeing. First of all, the fact that I was in Kyoya’s room. This should have been obvious to me, but to my sleep clouded mind it became a surprise I wasn’t expecting. The second problem was that I was on his couch, and I wasn’t alone. It seemed at some point during the movie, which was still on and sitting on the press play screen, I had fallen asleep, and I was accompanied by my well meaning friend.

With Kyoya’s arm curled around my back, holding me close to him, I didn’t dare move beyond tilting my head back to get a better look at him. His head was supported by the back of the couch, but it looked like a small movement would either jolt him awake or cause him to fall over the rest of the way. One of his arms was simply laying over his lap, the other being the one curled around my back. As close as we were, I could see the faint circles under his eyes and smell the hints of cologne left from yesterday.

Overall, it was a scene that caused a very bright blush to appear on my face.

Despite that, however, when I was finished studying him I simply shifted my head so that it was back in the position it had been against his bare shoulder. I didn’t think that waking up the boy who had been pronounced to be a demon king in the morning would be a good idea.

I’m not sure how much time passed before a faint beeping began to reach my ears. From the sound of it the source was located in his bedroom. As this thought crossed my mind, I felt Kyoya begin to stir. Apparently even this far away from it his alarm still had the ability to wake him up. Much to my surprise, however, he began grumbling under his breath, but didn’t bother to open his eyes. The words seemed to be something along the lines of “ten more minutes dammit.”

The idea of this coming out of his mouth was so absurd that I couldn’t conceal my amusement. A small giggle burst out of my chest, causing his eyes to flutter open and flicker around for a moment before focusing in on me. Surprise registered in his gaze for a moment, similar to how I’d felt upon waking up. A second later, however, I saw realization appear, followed by his usual hard to read expression. At the same time a small smirk fell onto his lips.

“You know, you could have moved when you got up,” he commented. His voice was still rather thick with sleep.

“I d-didn’t want to w-wake you up,” I stammered while attempting to beat back the blush that was threatening to flood my face. “It d-didn’t s-seem like a good idea.”

Faint amusement appeared, breaking that hard to read expression of his. I was again reminded that it seemed to be easier to read his emotions when he was tired. I began to wonder how long he’d stayed up after I’d fallen asleep last night.

“I suppose that’s a good point,” he mused. “I really don’t like waking up.”

I couldn’t help it, I snorted.

“I know.”

He rose a brow and I ducked my head while pulling away from his arm. This time I couldn’t keep the crimson color from staining my cheeks.

“I sh-should go g-get d-dressed,” I mumbled.

Kyoya tightened his arm, that brow still raised. I gave him a confused look, pausing a few inches from the position I was just in.