Open Water

Today- February 15th, 2014.

It has been officially one month since Iris has been in a coma. Today is the day I am not supposed to visit for an unknown reason. It will be another lonely day to cross off the calendar. Yesterday was Valentine’s Day, it was a tough day for me. I spent most of it crying over her bedside. Now today I can’t even do that. This house is starting to feel more and more like a jail.

     Audrey is crawling now. She can also talk somewhat, I’ve been having her study words so she can speak better. According to the nurses, she is progressing quite quickly and will definitely be a smart child. They also say it such a shame Iris is missing the first weeks of her growth. But I think it’s all a shame we had to be here in the first place. And now my dreams flood with images of us being together and happy, most of all alive. Slowly I’m dying inside. If this keeps up, God will have to make room for two.

I can’t live this way but now, I forgot how to live.

   I looked around at my surroundings slowly. The moonlight that shone through the open windows was all that illuminated the dark rooms. In was an oddly hour of 11. Audrey was sound in bed and I was left to pace around this godforsaken house. As my eyes examined all the items around where I stood, in the living room, I noticed the stack of sharp knife in the kitchen. I could cut myself. Then my eyes found the medicine cabinet. I could over dose. Slowly my eyes followed to the sink. I could drown myself. But then my eyes looked up the steps. And up those steps, laying asleep is a beautiful little girl. A little girl who deserves to at least have one parent if not both. Never could I wrongfully leave her in the cruel world alone, to be orphaned or raised on her own. And for that reason and that reason only, I will stay alive.

   A soft cry woke me from my slumber. It was about 6 in the morning as I slowly pulled myself from bed. I slugged over to the nursery and found Audrey sitting up in her crib. She smiled as she saw me walk in, I returned the favor.

   “Daddy!” She cheered as she reach her arms out toward me. I felt my smile grow as I leaned to pick her up. “Good morning pumpkin” I cooed as I start to get her dressed for the day. Once I changed her into black leggings and a pink sweater, I carefully picked her up to take her downstairs. I set her on the couch as I started to make breakfast. I noticed that she managed to entertain herself with the T.V. remote. I smiled at her focused face as she randomly hit buttons. Within about 5 minutes she found the power button and let out a very loud cheer when she realized what she did. I chuckled to myself as she giggled at her achievement. The television was showing a cartoon of a little animated family. It showed a father, a mother, and a child. Audrey’s sparkling green eyes seemed captivated by this. Suddenly, something I never expected or prepared for happened.

  “Daddy, where is mommy?” She focused on correctly pronouncing each word thoroughly as she peeked over the couch to look at me. I dropped everything that was in my hands and let it go into a collision course with the floor. My lips moved in struggle to find words. My brain was spinning trying to think of things to tell her. “Um… Mommy is on a vacation.” I managed to sputter out through sheer shock. I watched as she furrowed her eyebrows. Finally she shrugged

    “Vacation?” She repeated with confusion. I sighed and walked over to sit next to her on the couch next to her. She wobbled her way to sit on my lap with a small smile. “She’s has been gone for a while, but she will come back soon. I know she will. But listen carefully, if she doesn’t, I will always be here for you. Daddy loves you so much, Audrey.” I looked at her with wary eyes. Her big eyes looked up at me, then reached up and kissed my cheek. I smiled and held her small hand. She smiled and then made a focused face once more. I knew she was trying to think of what words to use to express her thoughts.

“Talk about mommy.” I looked down at her, “You want me to tell you about her? What she’s like?” She quickly smiled and nodded. I laughed as I ran a hand through my hair. “Well what can I say, she’s beautiful. She has a kind heart and cared about everything. She was a little broken inside, but I love her. And mom loves me. Mommy loves you too. She saw you on your first day you were born and she hugged on you to no end.” I could help but smile. “She’ll be home soon though.”

“I can’t wait to meet mommy!” Audrey cheered. And I can’t wait for her to be home again.

A/N:

Hey guys, thanks for reading, sorry if you didn’t like it. Sorry I made Audrey like super baby being able to talk at 1 month but it had to happen. Thank you for reading, voting, and commenting! Follow me on twitter at BandBones_ !! Tweet me if you do follow :)

22 VOTES

10 COMMENTS

Title Credit to BlesstheFall Open Water

 Also, not edited