Chapter 36

Overview : This chapter will be about surprises.. Nina's birthday and .... JUST READ TO FIND OUT. I spill something reaaaaaallly nice down below

Quote : You don't marry the person you can live with...You Marry the person You cant live without!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm turning 22 in a few days. I believe I'm at this point in my life where I'm desperately seeking for confirmation on everything -- I need the definitions. I need the answers.

Am I doing it right? Have I done something worth remembering? Where am I going? All these things constantly linger in my thoughts.

It's a never-ending cycle of trying to be someone we want to be. We want to define ourselves because it will give us some sort of stable ground as we play the role of being this self everyday.

No matter how rebellious we claim ourselves to be, having these lines drawn for us help us establish the sense of identity because around these lines, we can create what we are or are not. Without them, where do we even start?

I've been having doubts about myself for the last few days or so because 22 sounds so old -- it's passed my teen year! It's like by this time I should have at least found the answers to most of my questions.

Unfortunately, I haven't. And I'm freaking out because maybe I don't deserve to be 22 just yet. I haven't evolved enough to be 22 yet. I'm not even sure if I know what being 22 is -- having a boyfriend? Getting to vote at the elections? Learning how to handle alcohol? Having a driver's license? Staying up late? It is hard to define.

So what is 22 anyway? How can I be 22? Where does 22 happen? When does 22 happen?

I, honestly, don't know. And I'll probably never know (yet) .Right now, just one thing is for sure. The answer to When, happens today.

Whether I'm ready or not, it's going to be there. So maybe I'll just let the year unfold before me as it defines itself. Maybe I'll find it at home, or in my bed, or in the office, or in the car. Maybe I won't. Maybe 22 is about the questions, the search.

Maybe 22 is about the maybes.

I pulled out the covers from my bed and immediately drew down my binds. I wouldn’t be surprise if the sun isn’t glazing the sky just yet, for it was still two minutes passed five in the Friday morning.

I glanced down at the high street of Bonifacio Global city outside my window. The yellow lighting from the street lights immediately caught my attention. The bulb wasn’t even functioning well now, and from time to time creates a weird sparky light

Probably defective
I thought

As I started fixing my bed, I immediately caught sight of my reflection in the mirror. My hair started growing longer than its usual. It almost touched my waist and when I observe carefully, I also began to attain the other side of being a woman. My bust and my hips were wider

Maybe It was there all along.. maybe I just haven’t noticed it until now.

“You look just like your mother”
I remember correctly how would my Lola tell it to me as she pats my head and I would always return the favor and smile widely at her

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I waited for 3 long hours for my surprise. I waited three long agonizing hours for Iñigo and the excitement in my stomach curdled into sour disappointment.

Everyone have greeted me with their sincerest smile and hug but no sign of Iñigo just yet. Not even call or a beep on my phone

“Nina, Mauna na kame” I heard Jesse shouted from behind me, I was busy typing on my computer that

I can’t even turn around so I just wave her a good bye and said “Take care on your way”

From the corner of my eyes I felt the slightest sting of disappointment that larch into my stomach until

At 8 in the evening, I made my way down the ground floor of the venture. I was glancing from time to time at my watch while waiting patiently for a cab to haul my way but there was none

and It even startled me when a 2-door, 4-passenger glistening for its shiny platinum color sports coupe stopped right before me.

And I was more than surprise to see a smiling Tita Ingrid getting out of that Volvo.
“Tita Ingrid?” I hesitated and moved closer to her

“Hija” She warmly wrapped her arms around me and smiled
“Happy Happy Birthday!”

“Thank you po” I said and tried my best to look behind her, as if expecting Iñigo to come out any minute soon but he didn’t

“Hija, My Igo said he needed to rush for the reservation of the venue”

Venue?
I thought which got me pretty agitated coupled by the fact that I received no text message from him since lunch.

My patience wore thin, I'll admit it. I didn't want to ruin the night so I kept my mouth shut until I was 100% recovered from my temper tantrums. But even in the brink of anger, I found myself amazed by the romantic ambiance by the time we got to the place.

Then, he came by- no flowers, chocolates or teddy bear at hand. Just him. Wearing his red shirt accentuated by his black vest, he broke necks as he passed by.

 He drew close to me and whispered "I love you". Beyond him, the rest of the world seemed out of focus and in the waning light, and I forgot even my anger and all I could see is only the two of us

He planted a small but affectionate kiss on my lips and I looked up to his eyes and said
"I do, too".