I Dream of Vodka

May 28th at 10:20PM by Sara [303 comments]

I stumbled around the bar, full drink in hand, not even pausing when I sloshed the contents on people as I did so. Everything around me seemed a little fuzzy. Over the years, I'd learned that was what happened to me after about eight drinks or so.

The room was hotter than a sauna and I grimaced as I smoothed back my hair, which was matted down with sweat. I dodged the writhing bodies of the people who were dancing around me, slightly annoyed that everyone seemed to be having more fun than me. Just as I thought I'd made it through the crowd unscathed, I tripped over someone's foot and found myself sprawled on the floor.

As I pulled myself up into a sitting position and then backed up until my back hit the wall behind me, I was surprised to find that my drink was still in my hand and mostly full. I didn't hesitate before chugging all of its contents, feeling my body sigh with relief when the liquid burned as it went down.

Almost immediately, a guy appeared beside me. He was giving me a devilish grin and from what I could tell, all three of him were really cute.

"That was a rough fall," he said. "You look like you could use another drink. Vodka and cranberry?"

I reached out and took the glass that he was now holding out in front of me. I was so thirsty. I gulped down half of my new drink and then smiled up at him lazily.

"Vodka's the best," I slurred.

I squinted my eyes and tried to focus on my savior's face.

Yes, definitely doable.

"You know what?" I continued. "You're kind of cute."

The guy smiled at me and lightly placed one of his hands on my jeans-covered thigh.

"Oh yeah? Well, I think you're kind of cute, too."

I suddenly really wanted to make out. It didn't even necessarily need to be with him, but I figured he was as good as any. And whatever he was lacking in looks could be fixed with a few more drinks.

I noticed the cherry that was floating in my vodka cranberry and pulled it out with my fingers. Then, as seductively as I could, I licked the tip of the sweet fruit and then sucked on it until it pulled away from the stem and landed in my mouth.

I was happy to see that my little show had had the desired effect on my new friend, as he was now practically drooling.

"I haven't thanked you for my drink yet, have I?" I asked, looking up at him through my dewy lashes.

"No."

"Bad me," I said, pouting my lips. "I should be punished."

I leaned toward him then, stopping when my lips were just a few inches away from his. I caught the stale smell of beer on his breath and nothing could have been more alluring. I grabbed onto the front of his shirt and pulled his face the last few inches.

"Sara?" a voice said behind me. "What are you doing?"

Although the music was nearly deafening, the words made their way to me as if the room was empty. I let my head swivel around to follow the voice. After a few seconds (that felt more like an hour), my eyes landed on a girl who was standing about ten feet in front of me.

Unfortunately, the room was so dim and my vision was still blurry around the edges, I couldn't quite put a face to the voice. Maybe she was talking to another Sara?

I turned back to the guy who I'd been thisclose to playing a little tongue tango with just a few minutes before. I smiled as I saw that he was still sitting there next to me, his face just inches from mine.