CHAPTER 31

'Bentley! What's going on? What is the matter? Keri rushed to him.

'Look at this. Look at these newspapers?' He pointed to the morning papers in despair. 'Mr. Blakely is going to kill me and then he's going to fire me.'

Keri stared at the papers uncomprehendingly. She was not sure what the national disaster was. Okay there were rather expressive pictures of their bosses reflected there, but so what? As far as she was concerned Tessa von Biljoen had been a regular feature in every morning paper in New York. She and Tessa were quite used to that. Eyebrows were raised if she had not made it into the papers.

'I see Mr. and Mrs. Blakely's pictures there. What's the problem?'

'What's the problem? What's the problem!' He pulled at his hair as if it was not supposed to cover his head.
'Don't you understand, Mr. Blakely abhors pictures of himself plastered in the papers? He is even more insistent that is family not be photographed.'

'But why is it your problem? You are not even there right now.'

'The Blakely's security detail report directly to me,' Bentley poked at his chest. 'Mr. Blakely has only one rule regarding security. Keep him and his family out of the media!'

'But how can this be your fault? And Mr. Blakely is
a ... media man.'

Bentley sat down and dropped his head on his arm. 'I should have insisted on overseeing Mrs. Blakely's arrangements.'

Keri could barely hear his mumblings from under his arm. 'She insisted on planning every detail herself. She said she had everything under control, and ---,' he lifted his head up. 'GR is a respectable newspaper. We are not a trashy tabloid,' he hissed angrily.

'Sorry,' she mumbled.

'I have to call him,' Bentley stood up. 'I have to tender my resignation.'

'You are being irrational,' Keri gripped his arms. 'Wait until they return.'

Bentley shook his head. 'You do not know Mr. Blakely. He does not tolerate incompetence. He sets the highest standards, only because he himself operates at the highest standard.'

'But surely you are not to blame,' she tried consoling him. 'Like you said, you did not arrange the logistics.'

'Keri, I am his P.A.,' Bentley patiently drew out. 'I am supposed to pre-empt problems, challenges---potential threats. Do you want to read my ten page job description?'

'I'm sorry,' she murmured, draping her arms around Bentley.

'Bentley rested his forehead on her shoulder, inhaling deeply. She stayed silent, not wanting to anger Bentley further. His arms went around her and he hugged her tightly.

'Bentley---promise me you won't do anything until they return,' she whispered.

'You mean I should wait like a coward and see how the cards fall,' he dropped his hands, then slammed his palms on his chest and side pockets in search of his mobile. Keri eyed it on the dressing table and snatched it.

'You can wait---till tonight,' she insisted. 'You wanted to visit my mother,' she reminded him, silently berating herself for not having any other distraction. Keri was not too keen for Bentley to meet her mother just yet.

'So you don't want to do another safari, or take a boat out?' Tessa was playfully making a white paste all over Brad's face with the sun block.

'I want to have a lazy morning, right here,' he smiled.

They were lying at the resort poolside. Brad had made sure it was secure. Safe from any hopeful prying media lenses. He had forked out an exorbitant amount to protect their privacy. The resort owner's eyes had bulged like saucers when the security company had mentioned the amount, but without batting an eyelid Brad had handed over his credit card.
He had also apologised to the hotel manager for his angry outburst, has assured them that they will not accept a refund and had placed a thick wad of notes in an envelope as an added tip for the family, for their fabulous weekend holiday.