Part 3

"Makoto...who are you eating?"

The greenish brown haired male blinked and looked down to the lifeless body, his smile dropping to a small frown. Rin's heart began to pound. "Oh, him?" Makoto tapped the body with his foot a couple of times, occasionally stomping on its arm. "He's no one." With that said, he kicked the body over to Rin, the light revealing the face of a middle-aged businessman who was dressed in a nice grey suit that was now torn and stained blood red. Rin sighed in relief. Thank, God...but still-

"Who did you think it was?" Makoto asked, snapping Rin out of his thoughts. The red-head shook his head with a small, awkward laugh. "N-nothing...I just wanted to know..." Rin said, mumbling the last part to himself. This means Haru is alright...but does he know about this? he thought as he looked down at the body once more before looking up to the other male, who uttered a small laugh. Makoto smiled and held up his hands, chuckling as he did so. "Well, you found me out, Rin!" he said almost innocently. "I'm a ghoul." The words hit Rin hard. He still couldn't believe that Makoto was a ghoul after all this time. He was surprised that Gou never told him...that is, if she knew. He watched as the boy began to wipe his mouth on his shirt, huffing in annoyance when the blood just continued to smear. He focused back on Rin with a sad smile, his face almost showing a feeling of hurt. "You aren't going to turn me in to the Doves are you?" Rin blinked and shook his head slowly. "N-no..." he answered as he watched Makoto put his hands down. "I'm not going to turn you in, Makoto." Rin's brow furrowed and he bit the inside of his cheek. A small feeling of panic began to creep inside of him and he clenched his fists slightly. He had to admit, although Makoto appeared innocent, Rin didn't know if he was going to attack him or not. Does he know that I'm a ghoul? he wondered to himself. He made sure to stay vigilant.

Apparently, Makoto noticed Rin's appearance and began to grow a worried look. "Rin..." he started, his red eyes widening. "I didn't kill Seijuro if that's what you're wondering." Rin stiffened when he saw Makoto beginning to walk up to him. "I swear I had nothing to do with that. That was another ghoul I promise!" As Makoto pleaded, Rin cringed at his words...because he knew the truth. Rin sighed.

He knew he killed Seijuro.

"I believe you, Makoto" Rin said with his head down. Because I killed him. Makoto sighed in relief and smiled, closing his eyes as he did so. "Thank you, Rin," he said softly, quickly hugging the red-head. Rin blushed slightly and held his hands up to hug him back, but stopped. "Oi-" Before Rin could finish his sentence, he felt a tingle on his spine. Quickly, he jumped back as he felt a sharp breeze go by his face. It happened faster than Rin had expected and he barely dodged it in time. Only a kagune could've moved that fast.

"Rin, there's no way a human could've moved that fast."

Rin rolled back as Makoto's kagune was about to slam down on him. As he was rolling back, he noticed a very scary look on Makoto's face. He couldn't tell if it was anger or not...but it was very terrifying coming from the once-gentle male. "Rin, did you kill Seijuro?" Makoto asked, his rinkaku swiping Rin off of his feet. Rin growled, but was silenced as the rinkaku slammed itself down on him. As Makoto walked towards him, the weight of the boy's kagune was growing stronger on his chest and Rin could've sworn that he felt one of his ribs crack.

"I don't get it..." Makoto knelt down and grabbed the red-head by his chin. "You're obviously a ghoul so why aren't you defending yourself?" he asked. Rin grunted as Makoto squeezed his chin, pulling his head up some more. "Are you ashamed of what you are?" Rin's eyes widened slightly, but he shook his head out of the other's grip and looked down to the ground. Makoto mumbled something before placing his hand on Rin's head, the other flinching slightly. "It's not that bad despite not being able to eat normally like everyone else" he said with a small laugh at the last part. "You can't really enjoy all the good food of the world like your friends can and it makes you sad..." Rin grunted as Makoto quickly grabbed a handful of his hair and yanked on it, the boys' faces meeting one another. "It took me a while to cope with all of this too, Rin. You aren't the only one who despised not being able to relate to everyone else!" Rin blinked and could've sworn that he was actually speaking with Makoto. The other just looked off to the side and his eyes gazed down to a rock on the ground. "I couldn't stand being different from everyone else, especially my friends. I felt like someone - no, something – living in a world that wasn't theirs. It was like...I didn't belong...."

Rin couldn't help but sympathize with the other because that was exactly how he felt. It's not easy knowing that you were someone that didn't fit in. Especially if who you are falls under the category as a monster. Rin bit his lip. If only he had known that Makoto was a ghoul before all of...this. Both of them were capable of sympathizing with the other since they knew the feeling of being different. Besides, they both needed the sympathizing and comfort of someone who can relate. If only I knew...

"But then I realized something..."

Rin blinked as he heard the shift in Makoto's tone. It was back to that sadistic voice he was speaking in earlier.

"I realized that what you can call a curse, can also be a gift." The boy had looked back at Rin. "Like I said, being a ghoul isn't that bad, Rin. It makes you strong and you can show that you aren't weak anymore. I can never be called weak or treated like I'm inferior to others!" Makoto laughed and one of the tentacles had slammed Rin against the wall. "Besides," he said. "The best part is that you can rid of anyone you want...and no one will expect you because they think you're weak." Rin grunted as the rinkaku began to get slammed down on him repeatedly. He knew that he could've defended himself...but he didn't want to. Rin hated using his kagune and could never really bring himself to using it against one of his friends. But Rin knew that if he didn't do something, Makoto could kill him with just the strength of the kagune.

Rin wasn't going to have anytime to save himself. He could already feel himself beginning to break right now...but then, a sudden voice cried out.

"Oi!"

Rin felt the rinkakau move off of him and he watched as Makoto quickly dashed down the alley, his kagune grabbing hold of the wall and propelling himself over it. Something had rushed after him, but Rin couldn't tell what it was. Whatever it was, had retreated back into the alley and Rin could hear footsteps approaching. "Are you ok?" the male asked as he knelt down next to him. Rin tried to focus on the other's face, but he could barely keep his eyes open. He heard a gasp. "Rin! Rin, why are you out here?! You ok?!" Apparently this man knew him...but who was he?

Rin could feel his body get lifted up as the man picked him up. "Hang on, I'll get you home" the man said as he began to walk out of the alley with him.

As Rin could feel his eyes fluttering, he tried, again, to look at his savior's face. He still couldn't make it out, but he did notice one thing. Down in the man's right hand was a silver briefcase. It took Rin a minute to register what it really was and when he did, he realized he was being rescued by a Dove.

A Dove was rescuing him.

The man didn't know he was rescuing a ghoul.