One

It started on a Thursday. Just a regular day in my boring life. A day I was dreading to be honest. My youngest sister was having her fist kindergarten graduation and my parents insisted that I be sitting front row for her. They planned the whole weekend in honor of a five year old, ridiculous I know.

Once my things were packed for the weekend and loaded into my car I set out for the two hour drive to my childhood home. I enjoyed roadtrips of any kind really, even if it was small. Driving somehow calmed me. Being alone with the scenery constantly changing, my favorite music for me to sing my heart out to was soothing.

I found myself getting more anxious the closer I got to home. Spending the entire weekend with my obnoxious family didn't exactly spark my interests. But I couldn't ignore the small warm feeling I got when I turned onto my old street. The same street where I skinned my knees nearly every night playing with all the kids on our block on hot summer nights. The street that I spent most of my years walking to school when all I wanted to do was sleep the day away. I hated this street but something about being away for so long made it feel special.

"Stella!" My mother squealed wiping her hands on her worn out apron. She embraced me tightly and I wrapped my arms loosely around her acting as if it was no big deal but inside I began to feel like a small child again...

"How was the drive? It's so good to see you although," she stepped back with a hand on her hip looking me up and down with a joking smile on her face. "you look like you could use a home cooked meal."

"I cook at my home all of the time." I teased.

I walked into the living room looking around for any sign of the annoying humans I'm stuck with for the rest of my life.

"So where is everyone anyways?" I asked plopping myself down onto the sofa and nuzzling further into it.

"Your dad took your sisters to the store to get some things for the barbecue tomorrow. They waited but when Jessica got here before you she grew impatient." My mom yelled from the kitchen where she continued to prepare dinner.

"Of course she did." I mumbled closing my eyes and pretending to listen to my mom ramble on about the plans for this weekend.

Just as I was reaching pure comfort I heard the front door open and in stumbled my older sister Jessica with bags overflowing from her arms.

"There's groceries waiting for you outside." She grinned widely passing me and greeting my mom in the kitchen.

"Well hello to you too." I yelled sarcastically closing the door behind me.

My dad hugged me briefly before helping my little sister Melanie out of the car and into the house.
I walked around to the trunk and saw several bags, of course Jess would leave me with more work I laughed to myself.

Just as I was closing the trunk one of the bags slipped falling to the pavement. I quickly looked around to see if anyone saw my embarrassing epic fail and that's when I saw him. He was tall and broad and staring at me with a giant smile on his face as he continued to wash his car. With a hose in one hand he waved slightly at me from across the street. Even though I couldn't exactly check him out it was no secret he was good looking, even from afar. My cheeks reddened as I picked up the spilled groceries and waved back wanting nothing more then to hurry inside and hopefully avoid this guy for the rest of the weekend.

---

I rested my hands on my full stomach as we all sat around our small dining room table. There is nothing better than your mom's home cooking. I watched as my parents asked Melanie if she was excited for her graduation, they laughed as she mumbled on about it.

"So apparently mom and dad have a new neighbor." I said sarcastically turning my attention to Jess.

"Oh really did Mr.Jensky finally die?" She asked taking a sip of her wine.

"Jess!" I laughed.

"What that guy has been on his death bed for like five years now." She defended herself while I continued to giggle.

"No, it's the Parker's old place. Some guy, he was washing a car so I assume he lives there." I said taking a piece of fruit off her plate. She swatted at me and I shrugged my shoulders. Sisters eat each other's food that is an unspoken rule.

She looked at me confused but then began to nod at me. "That's Luke Hemmings, we dated but he
was into some freaky stuff..." Jess wiggled her eyebrows at me.

"You dated our parents neighbor and didn't tell me?" I scolded her playfully but also semi offended that she wouldn't share her info on a hot guy living next to our childhood home. Our whole lives we've only had old aged grumpy people or our friends parents live on our street, a street where nothing remotely exciting ever happens.

"He's twenty-three," she looked at me with a confused expression. "and like I said he's into some freaky stuff. Like sex wise Stell-"

I cut her off by nudging into her with my shoulder. "Jess, mom and dad are sitting right there what the hell?" I whispered feeling as if my eyes were going to pop out of my head.