Part 3

Captain Jonathan Frigmar headed to the city's Pigeon Post Service. Damn that Tanner. He would pay for his insolence someday. Laudabacker insisted on convincing him to work for the guild, but it would be just as well to see him run through. For now, though, Admiral Gaeceric was more interested in some of the other independent fleets and said he would get to the Waverunner soon enough.

If only a pirate were able to attack them. Frigmar paused and smiled as a devious plan formed in his mind. Four months ago, the guild had captured the notorious pirate Black Jack Mulligan and kept it very quiet. The bigger the threats out there, the more likely captains would join the guild for safety. And while the guild couldn't dare touch the Waverunner while it was working for the Royal Bank, maybe Mulligan could do their dirty work for them!

He walked into the Pigeon Post building. Hundreds of the small gray and white birds sat in cages, cooing and flapping, eager to go to their destination. The smell was awful, as always, but it could be tolerated.

"Afternoon, Captain," the attendant said. "Where to?"

"Guild headquarters."

"Aye, we have a few of them left. If you don't mind, I'd like to attach a second message requesting more birds from there."

Frigmar waved his hand. Who could be bothered with such trifles. He walked over to the writing desk and scrawled out the message. "Here. I want this sent to Gaeceric today!"

"Three gold, please."

Frigmar grumbled and dug out thee coins and placed them on the counter. If all went well, the Waverunner would never reach Port Cauldwell.