Waking Up

[][][][][][][][]
Skylar's POV
[][][][][][][][]

My eyes opened slowly, giving only fuzzy images. My body felt strange as I sat up groggily. I had been sleeping with a fresh pillow and blanket and the room I was in wasn't familiar.

"Where am I?" I wondered aloud. "You're awake", a mysterious voice stated. "Who's there? ", I replied on edge. I surveyed my surroundings; an open window I can use for escape if I have to, a half empty glass of water sat on a table a few feet away; it's not much but I might be able to do something if the time comes. Then there's a candle next to the water, it's light doesn't quite reach the far corner, where the voice it coming from.

"You're in Elysia, a seraphim village. Who are you and what were you doing in those ruins?" He stepped out of the shadows, a water seraph with white hair and violet eyes
"My name's Skylar. I live alone in those ruins you mentioned" "I'm Mikleo. Why do you live alone in those ruins?" "I don't know, I've just been there for as long as I can remember. I didn't need to go outside, I ate whatever animals found their way in and there's a waterfall along the cliff side to drink from" "Seraphim don't need food or water", he narrowed his eyes. "I'm half human, I don't need near as much food or water but my body still does need energy", I explained.

It may not seem like the best idea to just explain my entire existence to a random guy but he could take me back to the ruins. I need to be there to keep the calamity king's malevolence at bay or it will manifest into hellions.

"Are you hungry now?" "No, I'm awake now so I can keep myself stable as a seraph" "Good. I'm taking you to see gramps" "who's that?" "The village head. Everyone calls him gramps because of his age" "oh...okay", we walked in an awkward silence until Mikleo walked to a small hut.

"This is it", he held the door open for me. "Thanks", I stepped inside. Why is Mikleo so firm and cold, it's kina rude at this point. "Gramps, I brought her" "good, good, please seat yourselves", he gestured to two pillows (The kind meant for kneeling or sitting on. I forgot what they're called sorry)
I sat facing the old man while Mikleo sat to the side. "Marisabel", He spoke.

A memory formed in my inner eye; it was a time when dad still loved mom. A time when he still loved me. (Flashback mode) "Of course. I'm the happiest man alive to have this child with you, Marisabel", he smiled as a younger me pressed against his leg drowsily. (Flashback over).

"How do you know my mother's name?" "Marisabel was raised here", he explained. I was surprised, my mom had been raised around seraphim, these seraphim. "She's dead", I whispered, my voice barely audible. Gramps and I lowered our heads in mourning until Mikleo broke the silence; I've decided that he's annoying.

"So what now? Are you going to stay here? And what about Sorey and that other girl?" "Don't ask so many questions in one breath" "That's not an answer!" "Children!" Mikleo and I broke apart from our bickering to focus on gramps. "Skylar, while I would like you to stay in Elysia it is your choice if you want to leave but before you do, we need to talk about what happened to your mother" "of course", I stood up and walked twords the door. "I need time to think about my decision, please" " You have three days, I will call you back tomorrow so that we can talk again", I flipped my cape as I left, mostly to piss off Mikleo because it got in his face.

I looked up to the sky to see that it was dotted with stars. I hadn't gotten a proper look at the night sky in so long that I forgot how beautiful it really is. I walked for a bit, staring at the starry sky in wonder before I reached a small clearing on the outskirts of the village. There was a stream running through the center so I sat down on the moist ground beside it and observed the flow of the water for what seemed like an eternity.

I felt a hand on my shoulder, causing me to jump. But when I turned my head I was surprised to find Mikleo behind me. "Do you mind if I sit?" I shifted to the side to make room for him beside me. "So what are you doing all the way out here?", he asked. "Just thinking. My memory doesn't go to far before the ruins so the simple things here are unfamiliar, I'm not sure if I'm ready for such a change" "change can be good" "do I need to check my hearing or does it sound like you want me to stay?" "What does that mean?!"

I laughed, "you've been nothing but cold to me ever since I got here. I thought you would want me to leave" "sorry", I turned my head in response to how sincere he sounded. "I don't really like things that I don't understand, Sorey tells me that I can be grumpy about the idea of humans. I don't understand how you can possibly be half human half seraph" "I don't know either, but my parents are dead so I don't really have anywhere else to go, the ruins are lonely".

"I know how it feels, to have dead parents", he told me sadly. "Tomorrow, when I talk to gramps, I'll tell him that I've decided to stick with you for the time being" "Why with me?" "Because you're not so bad when you're not being grumpy".

________________

Hey look, I updated! I'm normally a little slow with updates and in case you didn't notice I recently published a new one-shot of my favorite anime ship, shimayu  (sousei no onmyouji). But I updated and I'm pretty sure that this is the longest chapter yet. Stay tuned for the next chapter! BTW: I didn't edit this so there are probably some spelling errors