III. Chapter 32 | Part 1 - Aubree

Aubree called Stone up to her room after ending the call and putting her old phone back in its cradle with shaking hands.

She could feel his urgency before he even entered and closed the door behind him.

Brooke shifted away on the bed as Aubree stood to be engulfed in his arms, his nose pressed into her hair.

Dan's warning came as a shock to him too as his anxiety mingled with hers.

[I have to get you someplace safe tonight with your parents. It will take the vampires most of the night to get back to Minneapolis and then they will be forced into hiding at sunrise. We have time to warn them. They have time to prepare and hopefully catch them at the border. We know the land better than they do. Everyone will be fine tonight. It's tomorrow night that they will strike.]

He spoke to reassure her as much as himself.

[But I have to get you and your folks someplace safe tonight. We don't know if they know we're here and we can't risk it if they send a clan to come after us.]

She nodded into his chest, feeling calmer in his arms as he began to relax slowly with her.

"Kay, I know you guys are having a mental conversation, I can smell the anxiety lowering between you," Brooke said, "but would you mind telling me what's going on? What's the deal with Carina anyway?"

Even though Aubree explained everything and repeatedly told her that Stone wasn't what everyone painted him to be in whatever sick, twisted picture they had formed in their minds, Brooke was still unnerved by his presence. Aubree hoped that in time she would get over it.

"You know about Carina?" Aubree asked as she pulled away from Stone.

"Everyone in our world does," Stone answered. "You don't exist for over a thousand years and expect to remain invisible."

"Especially Carina," Brooke said as she crossed her arms over her chest and leaned back against the headboard of the bed. Her sea-foam green eyes regarded Stone for a second before returning her focus on Aubree. "All I know is that something's ticked her off. Is it because Dan helped you escape and her little underground world got discovered and ripped apart?"

"That could be part of it, but I'm certain the main reason is because I killed Adranus."

Brooke's face paled as her eyes widened at Stone's statement. "Oh my fucking god, you didn't?"

"I was trying to get to her, but he stood in my way and she managed to slip away."

She stared at him for a minute before snapping back to attention. "Got it. What else can you tell me? Alpha Jackson is starting preparations with the pack and is going to contact the other packs in the city once he has all the details."

"What more is there to say? You heard what Dan said. She's setting out with an army tonight to hunt my pack and slaughter us all. She will stop at nothing to avenge him. We have to warn every pack between here and Minnesota of their coming. Maybe they can catch some along the way—perhaps even Carina."

Brooke snorted. "I doubt that. She's like a cat with nine lives."

"She has to slip up sooner or later. Vengeance might be enough to blind her and cause her to misstep enough for someone to catch her and take her out."

Brooke sighed, doubt clouding her eyes as she looked out the window. "So, what should we do?"

"Secure Aubree and her parents while I return to Minnesota and prepare for the attack," he stated.

Aubree snapped to attention. "Wait, what?"

Stone rubbed her arms as his gaze held hers. "The pack needs me. Until you're trained and capable of shifting in a matter of seconds, I cannot risk putting you in harm's way." He touched her cheek and mentally added, [Please? I cannot bear the thought of losing you. If I can hide you someplace far away from the danger, then I must do everything in my power to make it so.]