Chapter 26

"What reason do you have that makes you think we would let you talk to her?" Jazzy asks.
"I already told you, Brett, I don't trust you," Pippa adds.
"Please? Just, trust me on this," Brett begs.
Jazzy and Pippa both roll their eyes. "No," they say at the same time.
Just as they are trying to push Brett away, Kaitlyn comes over to them.
"What's going on over here?" she asks.
"Nothing," Pippa says, a little too quickly.
"That's a lie," Kaitlyn says.
"I just wanted to talk to you, but your sisters," Brett makes air quotes around the word 'sisters,' "won't let me."
Kaitlyn looks at Jazzy and Pippa.
"Are you guys not telling me something?" she asks. "I know you're mad, but dang."
"Brett, give us a minute alone with Kaitlyn, please. We will let her decide if she wants to talk to you after that," Pippa tells him.
The trio goes inside, leaving fans wondering what is happening by the stage door.
They head into their dressing room.
"Okay, here's the thing. We have been keeping something from you," Pippa says. Kaitlyn's face falls.
"Don't be mad at us, please," Jazzy says. "It was for your own good, but it's time we tell you."
"What is it?" Kaitlyn asks, worried.
"This morning, I saw Brett and Lana...um, kissing," Pippa says.
"What?" Kaitlyn asks. "Are you serious?"
"Yeah," Pippa admits. "I wish I could say that I wasn't.
"Oh."
"It's up to you if you want to talk to him or not. If you don't want to, it's alright," Jazzy tells her.
"Uh," Kaitlyn thinks about it. She can't help but feel like a middle-schooler who has their first crush. Of course, she's liked other guys before, but none of them as much as Brett. She can't help but want to listen to what he has to say.
"I'll go," Kaitlyn says.
"Be extremely careful," Jazzy warns her. "I don't trust him."
"And he knows dang well that I don't trust him," Pippa adds.
"Okay, what the heck did you say to him?" Jazzy asks, laughing a little bit.
"Let's just say that I used some colorful choice words," Pippa says.
The three girls laugh, and then, Jazzy announces that she will go get Brett.
"You two can talk in here. We will wait right out in the hallway if you need us," Pippa tells Kaitlyn.
A few minutes later, Brett walks into the room.
Kaitlyn feels her heart beating in her chest. She stares at her hands in her lap as he sits down on the couch next to her.
"Kait, I just wanted to apologize to you. I was a jerk. I know that," Brett begins. "And I don't expect you to forgive me right away. I just, was hoping that you could maybe think about forgiving me in a little bit? I really want things to be normal between us again during our songs. When you would blush in my arms during 'Helpless.'"
Kaitlyn's cheeks turn pink upon hearing this.
"Do I really do that?"
"Every night. It was adorable."
Kaitlyn looks up from her lap, and looks Brett in the eyes.
"So, why did you do it?"
"I don't know. Lana was being so overly flirtations that I didn't see what was right in front of me. I fell for her, but I think that I like you, Kaitlyn. And, I know what I told Pippa. I made up a lie in the heat of the moment."
"Wait, what did you tell Pippa?" Kaitlyn asks.
Brett blushes.
"So you haven't heard about that? I told her that I only said I liked you so that you wouldn't feel bad, but Kaitlyn, that's a lie. I like you. A lot. I know that I've probably screwed up my chances of you ever liking me back, though. That's okay. Can we please just be friends again?"
"No, Brett!" Kaitlyn says, softly, touching his arm. "I still like you too. I never stopped liking you, even when you were with Lana. I was so jealous," she admits.
"Really? Kait, I don't deserve you. Why would you like me, out of all the guys out there?"
"I don't know, but I know that every time I see you, I get butterflies in my stomach. I know that when you walked in here just a minute ago, I could feel my heart beating. I know that I like you Brett. And, forgive me if I'm being too direct, I know that I want you to be my first boyfriend."
Brett can't believe what he's hearing.
"You've never had a boyfriend before?" he asks.
"No," she admits.
"But, you're so beautiful and sweet!"
Kaitlyn blushes.
"Thanks Brett."
"I would be honored to be the first boy you ever call yours, if you want to."
"Of course I want to!" Kaitlyn shrieks, throwing her arms around his neck.
"Well, as your boyfriend, I am taking you out to ice cream in half an hour. Go ahead and tell Jazzy and Pippa first," Brett laughs, walking towards the door. "Oh, and Kait?"
"Yeah?"
"If we can forget about Lana, I've never done this before either. Sorry if I mess up."
Kaitlyn giggles.
"I'm sure you'll be wonderful!"
Brett leaves the room, and Jazzy and Pippa run right in.
"You look happy about something," Pippa says, stopping short in her tracks.
"Yeah, spill it Kaitlyn!" Jazzy says, closing the door to the dressing room.
Kaitlyn does. The girls seem to be happy for her, which Kaitlyn is relieved about. They do, however, seem to have their doubts, which they have rights to have.
"Be careful with this one, love," Pippa tells her.
"I know. I will," Kaitlyn promises.
Jazzy and Pippa leave Kaitlyn to get ready, and head down the hall to Brett's dressing room. They knock on the door, and he answers.
"Break her heart again, and we will personally make sure that your life is miserable. Are we clear?" Pippa tells him.
"Don't worry. I know how important she is to you. I'll treat her right," Brett assures them.
"We are paying close attention," Jazzy warns him, and then, the two girls walk away.
Brett knew to expect that, so now, he knows that he has to prove them wrong. He loves Kaitlyn, and will be the best first boyfriend ever.