15 ~ meetings

"Why?" Anna asked, lightly kicking a stone on the path as they walked.

Trent looked over at her quizzically.

She sighed to herself. "Out of all the people, why did you decide to harass me?" she repeated.

They were walking in the park that Saturday morning after Trent asked for her number at lunch yesterday – where she ate a sandwich under his careful scrutiny – and vowed to 'meet up' with her. Anna didn't know what his intentions were anymore, so she hesitantly agreed to find out what he wanted.

His intentions became very apparent as soon as they met up in the entrance of Regent Park, where he not-so-casually roamed his eyes up her outfit before winking at her. Anna was wearing a pair of burgundy Vans that complimented her black skinny jeans along with her navy blue jumper and beige parka coat – it was nothing special, and certainly nothing worth winking about. Trent was looking pretty nice himself, Anna noticed, adorned in some beige-coloured chinos, a green shirt and a thick black coat.

He ruffled his hair, pushing the thick chocolate-brown locks to the side slightly as he mulled over her question.

"I don't really know," he admitted sheepishly, ducking under a branch.

They were surrounded by shrubberies and trees as they walked, their breaths forming little clouds in the cold.

Anna remained silent. She didn't want to admit it, but it hurt to hear that. Anna wasn't expecting some sort of thesis on his endless feelings for her, because she found it quite exaggerated and cheesy since they'd only known each other for a week, but that didn't mean she wasn't expecting something.

Was she really that dull of a person?

Anna's steps slowed slightly as she seriously thought about the question, her hand unconsciously moving to the ridges underneath her jumper, pinching them lightly.

This movement didn't go unnoticed by Trent.

"Anna?" he called, slowing with her.

"Am I really that dull?" she inquired bluntly, looking up at him.

Trent was startled by the question and, realising his mistake, immediately began to backtrack. "Of course not," he soothed, lightly wrapping his arm around her shoulder and squeezing her to him. The movement comforted Anna.

"Then why me?" she demanded, her wavy chestnut hair blowing in the wind. "You've only been here for a week and you haven't left me alone since you got here."

Trent smiled to himself slightly, his eyes losing their focus as he thought. "You're mysterious and cold," he began, glancing down at her as they stopped in the path. 

Anna scoffed at him. "Thank you for the vote of confidence!"

He grinned at her as he began walking once more. "Glad to be of service."

Anna grabbed his hand, stopping him as he walked. "That still doesn't really answer my question though, Trent," she started, walking up to him boldly. "You didn't have to start pursuing me for no particular reason; you could have just appreciated the fact that I didn't care about who you were and then continued with your life peacefully."

He gulped.

"So why didn't you leave me alone?" She chuckled bitterly to herself as she recalled the box of chocolates in the bin. "Why did you buy me the chocolates? I've only known you for one week!"

"They weren't exactly subtle, were they?" he commented casually, avoiding the question.

"Trent," Anna growled.