entry #21

[February 22nd, 2014]

Excuse me ‘collarbones’ ;
I think I found my sat-nav,
my own U-turn,
out of this futile path of self-destruction.

It comes in the form of a boy,
a simple boy,
who seals up the potholes,
paves over the cracks
and shows me the way to acceptance,
with a simple kiss,
a simple smile,
and a simple message.

I really, really like you Annabelle Summers. Collarbones and all.

IMPORTANT:

Trent is not there to romanticise her disorder. I cannot stress this point enough. It is extremely important that people understand that in order for us to overcome disorders like these, we need to begin by trying to improve ourselves with the help of others. The eating disorder in Anna starts in Anna, not Trent. She's had it a while before he appears. His appearance doesn't suddenly turn everything around because she feels wanted, instead his appearance signifies the change and understanding that she needs in order to heal herself, which I've alluded to in the ending when she orders two chocolate fondants (that doesn't mean she's improved - she may have punished herself for it later, but I'll leave that for you to decide).

The analogy above is me trying to express how Trent has not rid Anna of her disorder; he's simply showing her the way to improvement through support. He 'seals up the potholes' [tries to help her through the setbacks in her disorder] and 'paves over the cracks' [comforts her when she messes up], but at the end of the day, it's Anna's battle with herself. The last 3 lines above before Trent's quote are examples of the comfort he provides her with - the gestures are all signs of support.

Thank you!