18: Story Behind the Story

The Refuge was still full of children, living in their close quarters and trying to survive. Everything was as normal as it could be in that awful building. Everyone who resided there was holding onto the hope that they were going to hear some good news from somebody. They were all up early in order to avoid any abuses for waking up late and missing breakfast. Then again, nobody was sure if those meals could even be called breakfast.

However, before "breakfast", there was just enough time for Elizabeth to read something to the other kids. The young woman sat on one of the lower bunks, with Crutchie and Patrick sitting on either side of her, looking out at the crowd of quiet children in front of them. Elizabeth started with the Newsie Banner, wanting to give them a little bit of hope as they started the day. "In the words of union leader Jack Kelly, 'We will work with you, we will even work for you, but we will be paid, and treated as valuable members of your organization.'"

The kids all seemed to like that, but they were scared to make too much noise, so they just nodded and smiled. One of the kids, a boy named Matthew, asked softly, "Do you think that will work? Will they win the fight?"

Crutchie nodded. "I know those guys. They'll win, and everythin' will go back to the way it should be," he told them.

"And as soon as they take care of that, they're going to get started on working to get us out of here. My sister told me so," Elizabeth added, giving the kids a reassuring smile.

Patrick couldn't help but smile from his place beside the two. "And we'll get to see our families and old friends again." The thought of seeing his mother was really helping him to feel better after all the injuries he had sustained and time he had spent in this dismal place.

"I hope it's sooner rather than later," another young boy, Daniel, admitted.

"Me too," a third kid, Luke, added. "This place is hell."

Elizabeth reached behind her, being careful not to strain her injuries in the process of swapping the Newsie Banner for  Treasure Island. "Well, when we get out of this hell," she started, "if we're not finished with this book, I promise I will keep reading it to all of you. Every Sunday afternoon, I'll read a new chapter to whoever shows up at my doorstep. And, when we finish this book, we'll pick out a new one. Does that sound alright?"

This time, the boys weren't afraid of making too much noise. They liked that idea too much to care. They cheered and voiced their assent, making the kids on the bunk very happy. So, Elizabeth quickly gave the details to the kids, including offering her address and a time to wait there for her. These plans were greeted by even more enthusiasm.

It didn't matter, though, whether or not they made any noise. That was the day the strike was settled, so they wouldn't have been punished. At that moment, the police arrived at the Refuge and they were getting ready to bring everyone down to the square to be part of the celebration and close down the awful place for good.

*****

The Refuge had been horrid, but thinking about the little moments of peace helped Elizabeth to keep a smile on her face. She planned to keep her promise to the group of boys, and it just so happened that the day after the strike was settled was a Sunday. So, after going with her father to a doctor's appointment to get her arm and other injuries checked out, she returned home and went upstairs to retrieve the book from where she left it.

That morning, she had explained to Bill that she had taken the novel from his room, and offered to give it back. After all, that story had been one of his favorites. But, Bill would have none of it. The young man just gave her the book instead, citing being a good older brother as his reason. Elizabeth would have said that Bill was a good older brother without doing this, but it certainly helped.