03| A Decision

***

"Hurry up and make your decision Artemis." Paula told me, and I began to bite my bottom lip unsure if the decision I was about to make would be the right one. I knew that once I made the decision there would be no going back if I had made the wrong one.

"Alright." I muttered and she immediately smile with satisfaction. "I assume you have a plan?"

My mother took a step towards me to tuck a strand of hair behind my ear just I instinctively moved away. "Of course I do. You just have to trust me."

And that was exactly the problem. I didn't know if I could trust her. I felt like I couldn't trust my own mother. But she had never been much of a mother to me to begin with. Regardless of all my doubt and worries I nodded knowing that I didn't completely want to lose myself in being in the League. And I knew it would happen if I stayed here longer. 

"I've gotten rid of most of the guards on my way here, but it won't be long until they notice that they are dead. So we have to move quickly." She instructed me and I walked over to the far wall picking up my bow and quiver. 

"Then why are we still standing here?" I questioned pulling at hood over my head. Paula smirked as she walked over to the balcony, looking down at the ground below us. We were only in the second story of the building, it was an easy jump. Standing on the ledge she jumped down and I followed. Landing on my feet I straightened up knowing that this was the easy part.

***

We ran down the field where I could hear a helicopter waiting for us in the distance. Which made me wonder who exactly my mother was involved with that would help her be a part of something as dangerous as this. Was she working with someone or was someone working for her?

 I had so many questions that I wanted answered and it made me question if I had blindly accepted my mothers offer without thinking of the consequences. But if there was one thing that I was sure of was that if Ra's ever found out that I didn't really eliminate Anatoly Knyazev like he had ordered me too that he would have me killed without a second thought. Sure, he raised me as if I was of his own blood, but he was ruthless, capable of killing his own daughter. 

We both came to a stop when what seemed like an army of League members was waiting for us at the top of the hill. Now without a doubt whoever was in charge of the helicopter was dead. I didn't have to be told anything as I pulled an arrow out of my quiver and readying it on my bow. "Don't hold back." Paula told me as we walked forward, just as all the member got into a fighting stance. "You might have worked with all these people your whole life, but they are your enemy now." 

I simply nodded once, as the League members charged forward it was only a matter of second before I had an empty quiver and had to resort to using swords. Pulling both blades out of my back holsters, together my mother and I had successfully taken out most of the League members who were blocking our path.

From the corner of my eye I could see an arrow coming my way and I immediately used my sword to block it. As I continued to take out more members of the League I cam to realize something. Although I was avoiding creating any major injuries that would result in death, there were some circumstances that I was being forced to kill one of my own.

All we have ever been encouraged to do in the League is kill those we have been instructed to. We have been silently manipulating global events for hundreds of years, and that has included the killing of major world leader. However, the one rule that we hold most sacred is that we never kill one of our own. Yet, this is what I am doing to escape the place that has felt like a prison to me. If Ra's wouldn't have killed me for disobeying his order of eliminating Anatoly he would certainly do it for killing one of our own.

I drove my sword into someone's shoulder before pulling it out and knocking them unconscious. Feeling someone's presence behind me I turned around sword raised and as I did by sword collided with someone else's. Looking up I was met with Nyssa's eyes that were mostly hidden by the hood from her armor.

"Artemis what are you doing?" Nyssa asked me, confusion and disappointment clear in her eyes. We both lowered our swords knowing that we would never be capable of harming one another.

I looked around to make sure no one was watching before I removed my hood to look her clear in the eyes. "I'm leaving this place Nyssa."

"But why? This life is all that we have known."

"I can't stay here sister." I told her, and at that moment I realized that she was the only thing that I would miss about this place. But, regardless of how much I would miss her I knew that this was something that I had to do. "I don't belong here."

"And where are you expecting to run of to? Our father will certainly find the whereabouts of your person." She asked her voice laced with concern and thats when I knew that she was going to let me go.

"Paula. I'm sure she has a plan to make sure that our..." 

"You plan to run away with her?" Nyssa questioned in disbelief. "The woman who has caused you so much harm. Do you really believe that she could possibly have any good intentions? Especially after all these years."

"I know, but I have to trust that her intentions are true. I can't be here any longer sister. Not when my whole life has been decided for me." 

My sister shook her head as she looked away from me clearly unsure if what I was telling her was true. "Artemis you must be aware that there is no turning back once you've made your decision."

"My decision has already been made."

"In that case, I shall really miss you sister."

"As shall I." I stepped forward hesitant whether or not I should hug her, but it was Nyssa who closed the gap between us pulling me into a tight embrace. A part of me was reluctant to let go, after all she was the only one I truly considered my family. But, I had too this was the only way to escape a life that would be chosen for me.

I no longer wanted to do what Ra's ordered. I no longer wanted to become the monster that Ra's was slowly turning me into. Everyday, with every life I took I felt myself lose a part of who I am. I was afraid of that part of me who actually enjoyed killing. Enjoyed the feeling of watch someone take their last breath. And I didn't want to completely lose myself to that feeling. 

And right now. At this moment I made a vow to myself. A vow that I would never take another life, under any circumstances. Because if I did that would be just one more step of me becoming a person that I would despise. One more step to becoming just like my mother. 

"Hopefully we shall see each other once again." I whispered as I finally pulled away from her taking a determined step back.

"I'm sure we shall." Nyssa replied, and I knew the meaning behind her words. She meant that one day my past you surely catch up to me. One day Ra's would find me, what I was doing now was the highest of treason. And if one day he ever did find me, he will have me killed without a second thought. 

"Goodbye Nyssa." I told her before running off into the night. I wasn't sure were I would go from here, or what was awaiting me in the future. The League is all I have ever known, of course I had been outside of Nanda Parbat before, but it had always been to go on missions.  Now I was leaving to make a life of my own.

***

^^^A/N Sorry I haven't updated this story in a while I've just been rewatching season 1 of Arrow and it's taking a bit longer than I thought. And although I already know how the story is going to pan out once she gets to Starling, I'm just struggling with how I want to get her there. Anyways can't believe this story hit 1k with only 3 chapters, you guys are amazing!^^^