Chapter 6: Gut Feeling

Hunter

The entire time she was near him, he was happier. His smile wasn't forced, his eyes were brighter, and he actually laughed. The way he looked at her was adorable, my best friend was finally happy. I just hoped he wouldn't mess this up. Now, don't get me wrong, I loved Cameron like a brother but he had some pretty bad habits that had ruined a lot of things in the past. His every-night-a-new-girl phase was still to be considered. Honestly, he was a player but I couldn't really say anything considering I was no better.

I knew already, in the short time that Liz and Cameron were spending together, the he wouldn't intentionally hurt her. Yet, I couldn't help but feel nervous of the chance that he wouldn't be able to easily give up his player ways. I knew he would try, well I hoped he would. Once the alcohol gets in his system though, there's no telling what he would do. Then along with that, there's the pressure of his reputation. Regardless of what is would take, he always wanted to maintain his badass reputation because that was the way he always was. He tried to hard to stay the way he had become, he was too fearful of change to really allow himself to get better.

I knew that she was hiding something too, while Cameron was hiding his 'bad boy' side from her, she was hiding something more painful than that from him. I could only tell by the look in her eyes, every once in a while a flash of pain would appear. She was hiding a pain that could destroy her if she let it.

I'm more observant than most but I had to be. Beta's duty was to pick out the weaknesses in the enemy during fights and use those against them. It was like a tradition to have the most observant wolf as the alphas right hand man, regardless of bloodlines. That's the only reason Derek wasn't Beta, or alpha, he hardly ever noticed the small things. The alphas job is to rule the pack while the beta has to always have his back.

I had yet to find my mate but once I did, my senses would be stronger so I couldn't wait until that day. I had a feeling I would be a lot like Cameron though, my player ways would be hard to put to an end for my mate because it's all I've ever known. Thats all I ever lived up to day by day. I looked over to the girl in the bed beside me, I couldn't even remember her name, Tasha or something like that. She was a sweet girl though, innocent and naive, someone I would later feel bad about leading on. Due to the amount of regret already forming, I could tell this time would hit me harder. Even when the emotions like that came upon me, I couldn't stop myself. Maybe a mate would help me with that but then again you have to consider the fact that it's like an addiction, and an addiction is not too easy to toss away.

I sighed and stared up at my plain white ceiling, letting my thoughts roam free. I had heard of mates being cheated on and the pain that it put them through. I hoped I wouldn't become one of those wolves. I hoped that Cameron wouldn't become one of those wolves either but I had a gut feeling the happy couple wouldn't always be so happy.

Now, I just wished for my gut feeling to be wrong.