2|Warriors

The next morning, I have to get up earlier than usual for training. Izzy and Laci are already awake, in their bathrooms taking showers. I creep out of bed, hoping not to startle dad, who is snoring in the room across from mine.

I head towards my bathroom, and strip down to nothing to take a nice warm shower. I made sure to bring my phone to play music on while I'm cleaning, just so I don't get bored.

I turn the water almost all the way warm, and turn on my music to hear the song, "Weak" by AJR. I hum along to the catchy tune as I wet my hair and body and cleanse myself free of all my worries.

I lose track of time. I'm in the shower for almost half an hour, and look at my phone to see it's 7:30, I have exactly half an hour. I throw on a towel and grab a purple t-shirt with some leggings that stop at my knees.

I run to the woods by the pack house where we will be training right after I put my hair into a loose ponytail and grab my sneakers.

I'm in the woods at 7:55, a few minutes early. No warriors from the Moonlight Pack are here yet, only warriors from the RedOak Pack. They are lined up in rows of 12 by 5, which will change once the other warriors come.

A howl is suddenly heard from the edge of the clearing. The Moonlight Pack has arrived.

I hear heavy footsteps crunching on twigs and leaves as they slowly approach the training center. They are lead by a large man, the Alpha I'm guessing, with dark brown hair and sparkling gray eyes. There are about 100 men following in rows behind him, all synchronized in their steps.

My father approaches them at the edge of the training center, and talks loud enough that everyone can hear. "Welcome, men of the Moonlight Pack."

"I have brought you 100 men to be trained, and I expect them to be trained well." The Alpha states to my dad, a look of warning on his face.

"Do not worry, it is said that we have some of the best trained warriors around, and I am proud to share that with you." My father doesn't seem fazed by the look on the visiting Alpha's face.

"Very well. I will stay only today, if I am impressed, you will continue to train my men. If not, then my men and your valuables are taken away. Understand?" The Alpha growls.

Valuables?

My father agrees to his terms and they shake hands, before the Alpha's men break into groups to blend with our men. They seem to already be trained, not for war, but for following directions.

My father starts barking out orders, while the Alpha walks to a tree and casually leans against it. He looks around, eyeing every person at the center...including me. As soon as he lays his eyes on me he doesn't take them off. I try to ignore the hole burning into the back of my head, but I can't.

I look back at him and we lock eyes. I can't look away, his eyes are pulling me closer to him, and it's irresistible. I feel myself being attracted to those big gray eyes, like an endless void I'm falling through.

I rub my eyes, turning them away from him. No. There is no way he would mate me. If only his eyes were black, it would show his affection. I risk a look back at him.

Pitch black.

I can't. I'm not even old enough. I'm only 17, my birthday September 27th, three days. If he were to mark me, then both of us would most likely be killed. Me from sickness and him from breaking a mandatory law.

I can't help but notice him slowly walking over to my father, keeping his black eyes on me the entire time.

They talk in hushed voices that I can only catch a few words from.

Trade...pack...mate...can't...valuables.

My father nods his head before calling out to the warriors to stop training.

"Alpha Elliot has proposed an idea. Instead of the deal we had made earlier, he is willing to take one of my daughters to become Luna of the Moonlight Pack. In return I will keep all warriors and all other trade items he has wagered." My father states.

Laci and Izzy gasp, and I can't help but choke on my own spit. My father is willing to give up one of his children in order to keep warriors and valuables.

"Alpha Elliot has chosen my youngest, Shayfer." I gasp. My father knows I'm not old enough. He knows that he is putting others lives in danger in order for him to get what he wants. Laci and Izzy dart their heads in my direction. They have figured out exactly what I did.

Alpha Elliot stares at me, his eyes turning from grey to black. He wants me. Out of all people. Me. I can't let him mark me, I have to tell him the truth.

"Shayfer of the RedOak Pack, do you accept me as your mate?" Alpha Elliot is only inches away from my face, ready to mark me whenever I say the words.

"I-I..." Something inside me says I should say yes, for if I don't, he will kill my father and everyone close to him, like me and my sisters.

"State your answer, you have ten seconds or the deal is off." He glares at my father, who is smiling nervously.

"I...agree to become Luna of the Moonlight Pack, and become your mate." I say, letting my eyes squeeze shut, just after I see my father grin like a madman. Laci and Izzy gasp along with the whole crowd of warriors.

And with that, Alpha Elliot of the Moonlight Pack digs his fangs into my neck, officially making me his.