Damon Salvatore ✓

Requested by @DippzyAsh - sorry for how long this took. I haven't had a lot of free time lately.

The following imagine would have taken place in season 3, episode 14 [Dangerous Liaisons]

You'd been hanging with Klaus more often lately. Despite the things he'd put you and your friends though, he really did intrigue you. His desperation for human companionship had piqued your interest, especially since he was such an animalistic person.

He'd even invited you to the ball the newly formed Mikaelson family was hosting.

Everyone else had already left to go to the Mikaelson mansion, meaning you had to walk through the doors unaccompanied. Two men that the Mikaelsons had no doubt compelled opened up the tall doors to the mansion, revealing a display of luxury. Flutes of champagne were being carried around on trays and every known man and woman in Mystic Falls was here, wearing their most expensive clothing in attempts to hopefully impress one of the Mikaelson men and their younger sister, Rebekah.

You grabbed your black clutch and picked up a fistful of your emerald green ball gown, hoping to lessen the probability of you stumbling on the expensive tiled floors. Klaus watched as you navigated your way through the crowds to find your friends Stefan, Elena and Damon having a hard time around each other. Elena and Stefan had been rocky lately, mainly as Stefan didn't want to be in a relationship with her and was focused on ruining Klaus, much to your dismay. Damon was just trying to survive and keep the people around him safe. Unluckily for him, Elena, and you, had a habit of going exactly where danger seemed to roam.

"April?" Damon looked at you surprised. "I didn't realise you were coming."

You hadn't either until Klaus practically begged you to join him. It didn't help that he'd left the extravagant dress you were wearing on your doorstep along with some jewellery that you knew would have been far beyond the reach of your wallet.

"Klaus invited me, I couldn't say no," you told him, trying to ignore the judgemental looks being given to you at the sound of Klaus' name.

"Klaus Mikaelson is the devil, and this is coming from someone who Caroline Forbes referred to as satan," Damon grabbed your arm, hoping you'd believe his words and stay away from the hybrid.

You tried moving your arm away from him but he was too strong, "Damon, you're hurting me." He seemed to snap out of his trance and let you go, letting you turn away from him and grab a flute of champagne from a suited-up waiter.

You tried not to socialise with people as you stood in the corner, bitterly watching as both married and single women flirted with Klaus. You didn't notice the side glances you were getting from both Klaus and Damon. While Klaus had been trying to get you jealous, Damon himself was envious of the connection between the two of you.

His expression mirrored your sour one. You both stood on opposite ends of the mansion, slowly sipping alcohol and watching the people you both respectively liked out of the corner of your eye. The only difference was that he was staring at you and you were staring at Klaus.

You hadn't even noticed when Klaus compelled the woman who had been twirling her hair and throwing herself at him to leave him alone. He inched up the steps and joined his family as they made an announcement about their return to Mystic Falls. Elijah then invited the guests to find a partner and take part in a century's old waltz. You rolled your eyes and walked up to Matt, "Donovan, if you don't liven up this party for me, I think I might just-"

"Oh look, if it isn't my brother's plaything?" Rebekah said to you as she faked a smile, "Is Nik bored with you already?"

Before you could answer, a voice smoothly responded. "How many times have I told you not to aggravate our guests, Rebekah?" You didn't have to turn around to know it was Klaus.

It seemed as though everyone had sensed the tension as Stefan, Damon, Elena and Klaus' brothers all gathered around to see what was happening. "Actually Rebekah," you said, looking directly at Klaus, "I'm a little bit bored with him."

You walked away from the group but an arm yanked at yours, spinning you around. "Will you stop doing that?" you yelled at Damon as his eyes met yours. "What do you want?"

He smirked at your attitude, never having seen you so angry before. "I just wanted to see if you were okay."

You scoffed. "Since when has Damon Salvatore cared to check if anyone was okay?"

He moved closer to you; so close you could feel his breath on your cheek. "You're not just anyone, April."

He waited for a reaction and your face said it all; you sure as hell weren't expecting that from a vampire who, when you first met, was the most sadistic thing to ever exist. "Damon, don't do that," you told him.

"Don't do what?" he replied innocent, his presence feeling even closer to yours. "Don't tell you I like you? Or as Klaus would say, that I fancy you. Because I do, April."

"Don't do that." You whispered harshly, your eyes flickering from his lips to his eyes. You kept yourself restrained, using every fibre of your being to stop your muscles from moving forward and kissing Damon.

"Do you know how long I watched you tonight looking miserable because of Klaus? Do you know how jealous I was that you were watching Klaus and not me?" Damon said.

You shook your head, pretending you couldn't hear him. You looked behind him to see Klaus watching as you two interacted and you knew by the look of focus on his face, he was listening to every word. "I can't do this, not here and not right now," you told Damon.

You turned away from him and walked out of the ball, knowing that a crestfallen Salvatore was watching you leave with his heart in your hands.

A/N - If you guys could nominate this book in @TVDCommunity's 'Best GIF Series' category in their fanfic awards, that would be lovely.