18. The Choice

Biting and clawing and constant attacking; both were bleeding and both were not backing down. No one dared to intervene in a fight between two Alphas. Everyone seemed to agree that this was something that they had to fight out between each other. Well, everyone except for me. I was still fighting to get out of Dominic's hold. He had my wrists held behind my back with one hand and his other arm around my waist, pressing me hard against him. Everyone was silent around the fight, besides me who was crying and screaming for someone to stop this. What if they killed each other? It would be my fault.

I watched as Fletcher had Zach pinned to the ground, biting down on his shoulder. Zach howled in pain, which caused my heart to drop to my stomach. Zach quickly flipped over so that he was now pinning Fletcher down and swung his paw across his chest, which elected another painful howl, this time coming from Fletcher. This caused my heart to feel like it was falling even further. I had stopped struggling due to feeling so shocked at what I was seeing. Dominic's grip had loosened as a result of this. I watched Fletcher and Zach, both now in standing positions, growling and circling each other again. I took advantage of Dominic's loose grip and broke free. I sprinted right between Fletcher and Zach before anyone could grab me again. The moment I jumped into the middle, also happened to be the moment Zach and Fletcher were mid-air, about to pounce on each other. With me in the way, it was me they landed on. I hit the ground. Hard. Zach's claws had scratched my chest and Fletcher's teeth had clamped on my shoulder. Both of these attacks were meant for each other. They quickly realized what had happened and backed away, shifting into their human forms. Various scratches and bites covered their bodies, the blood still dripping from the wounds.

I was sitting on the ground, holding my shoulder and breathing heavily, tears in my eyes. This was painful. Really painful. But this pain was nothing compared to the pain I felt watching them fight each other. Fletcher and Zach stood on either side of me, a few feet away. Their mouths hung wide open, their eyes held guilt, and they appeared frozen in their spots. They also appeared naked. "Please put some pants on." I breathed out. Someone threw each of them a pair of shorts which they quickly put on before starting to walk towards me. I jumped up from my spot and starting backing away, putting my hands out. "Stay away from me! Both of you." I couldn't control the way my voice came out. I had wanted to sound strong and in control, but instead it was shaky, like I was about to break into sobs.

Fletcher spoke first, "Skates, I-"

"Don't!" I interrupted, shaking my head, not wanting to hear whatever they had to say. "Just...leave me alone. I begged you not to fight, but you didn't listen. Nobody ever listens to what I have to say or what I want. It's all about what everyone else thinks is best. I love all of you. So much. Why can't you just get along? And ask me what I want? It's my life. I should be able to choose." I held my shoulder again as it ached and looked between Fletcher and Zach.

"What do you want?" Zach asked with pleading eyes.

"I want to be left alone. I want to go and pack a few of my things." I could feel the pain in Zach's heart as I said this and Fletcher's eyes brightened up as he looked satisfied. "Then, I am going to walk away. From both of you." Fletcher's expression quickly changed from satisfaction to confusion, Zach sharing a similar expression.

"What do you mean?" I looked back towards Fletcher who had asked.

"I was doing fine on my own. While I was running from Damon. I managed fine for a month. I can take care of myself. I'm going to continue to run in the direction I was going in. That way Damon is my problem and not all of yours. And with me gone, you have nothing to fight about anymore." I turned around and started walking toward the house.

Everyone followed, but stayed silent. I made it back to the house, the bite on my shoulder and scratch on my chest now throbbing in pain. But I could handle it. I didn't need help. I can take care of myself. I repeated this in my head over and over. I jogged upstairs and into my and Zach's room. I slammed the door before I grabbed my backpack and began to pack some clothes. There was a light knock on the door. "Go away." My voice was still shaky and I was trying not to cry. As usual, my requests were ignored and the door opened.